What exactly is a "Rod" as used in Final Fantasy?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Devonie

What exactly is a "Rod" as used in Final Fantasy?

Post by Devonie » Wed May 17, 2006 7:46 am

My friends and I are going to the Masquerade at Marcon as mages from FFV. I'm the Blue Mage, and my weapon is probably going to be a Rod... but I've never played FF, so I don't know what one is. From what I've seen in pics, it looks something like a scepter?

Any help will be *greatly* appreciated!!

Devonie

TR Rose

Post by TR Rose » Wed May 17, 2006 8:35 am

I would think a Rod is a short magical staff - somewhere between a walking stick staff (like Gandalf has in Lord of the Rings) and a small magic wand. Since you could use a Rod for either casting magic or as a melee weapon, it's a bit more sturdy than an ornamental scepter.

I've only played the original FF, but I think you'd want to make something about 1-1/2 to 2 feet long. Hope this helps.

BlackKnightress210

Post by BlackKnightress210 » Tue May 23, 2006 5:43 am

I should think it would be two and a half to three feet long, I played for a short while. Google the image, but use a dowel rod to make the staff itself, get whatever thickness you think will work best. As for whatever decoration is on it, that's up to you. I vaugely remember this item, but I hope my input helps!