Could anyone help me out on Haruno Sakura's costume?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
mimicninja

Could anyone help me out on Haruno Sakura's costume?

Post by mimicninja » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:24 pm

I'm new to cosplaying, I'll be cosplaying at my first convention in July, and am currently working on my first real costume.
I'm cosplaying as Haruno Sakura from Naruto. I have just started making my costume and am already having some problems and I was wondering is someone could answer a few questions.

A ref. picture showing some of my major problem areas:
http://www.freewebs.com/mimicninja/Saku ... %20ref.jpg

My first real problem is how do you take a circle and hem it, so that it keeps its nice circular shape?
I've tried alot of different ways and I haven't found any.
Do I simply have to hem and be very careful to keep it round?

Second how do I make the lining?
If I just sew it on to the red fabric then it will be all poofy? Just like if I sew on the other white parts won't that be poofy too?
Please help >.<

Last I don't know how to sew the zipper.
If it were simply srait down I'd be fine, but because its in the slant I'm unsure of how it should be sewn.
Do zippers curve like that??

Understand, this is the first time I've made a cosplay costume (at least with any real intention of using it for any real prupose) but this is not the first time I've sewn. I just really am stuck on these three things. I'd love if I could get some answers and if you don't know I'd love it if maybe I could be directed to someone who might.
Thanks for taking the time to read this ^^

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi. ^_^
If you can make the circles with a non-fraying material, that would be the easiest solution. Otherwise, you can either finish the edges with an embroidery stitch (just a tight zig zag) or bias tape (might add some nice dimension).

For the zipper, you could try ending the zipper at the angle and using bias tape to finish the white line. So the zipper would just be the straight vertical part, and the bias tape would meet it and go off on the angle toward the side seam.

I'm not sure about what you mean by the lining and white trim going poofy, but it shouldn't be lumpy or anything unless you do something strange.