CCS Winter Uniform Help? [Scarf, Cane]

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Mineko

CCS Winter Uniform Help? [Scarf, Cane]

Post by Mineko » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Planning on buying and having the black shirts and white skirt/black shotrs, myself and my partner are making a Card Captor Sakura duo cosplay of Li and Sakura's winter school outfits.

COSING AS CARD CAPTOR SAKURA CHARACTERS:

Kinomoto Sakura (Images from Cosaru.com):

The Character and Basic Look

Basic Front View of Scarf

Back View of Scarf

Side View of Scarf

Knot of Scarf and Front View of Hat

Syaoran Li:

Basic Character and Look

We seem to have run into a bit of a rut, as we thought that the 'scarf' was all one piece, but apparently we've heard it's two. A scarf and a 'vest' of some sort. I was wondering if there was a pattern out there available for general school uniform scarves, that I could mod to have the nifty little back that their uniforms do.

Also, we have -some- idea of how to tie those knots, as my partner practised on a USB cord (we are the epidomy of nerd..), but we've come to the realization that they tie their scarves a different way. Sailors tie their knots up and down, which is how my partner learned to do it, while Li and Sakura tie their school knots side to side! Any know how to do this?

As for the Sealing Staff, I'm wondering if I can make such a thing in the limited amount of time I had.

Is there a simple way to make such a thing, that won't break easily? I plan on making one entirely out of wood and paint in the very near future, but that would take a couple of weeks. Someone I know suggested a large dowel rod - an inch in diameter - along with coloured clay for the head and bottom, paint for the rod, and fake gems for the accents on the headpiece.

Thanks for helping. ^_^ I really appreciate it.

Mineko

Post by Mineko » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:34 pm

We figured out the hats! ^_^ Now.. I just need a little help with that darn scarf. Seriously, does anyone have ANY generic pattern for a schoolgirl's uniform vest and scarf? Do they know how to tie the knots? I've seen MANY Tomoeda Uniform cosplays, so I know people have done it here! Please, don't hesitate to help me. I'd appreciate it a lot.

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:33 pm

Vest? I see no vest. You mean the collar?

The scarf is actually just that little piece of fabric with the knot. Not the huge collar.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:11 pm

Yep, that's a modified sailor collar. Some people make it sewn to the shirt while others make it detachable. There was once a diagram online. Wonder if I can find it again. I'll post it here if I do.

The scarf/necktie can be cheated: the knot needn't be a knot at all but just a separate fabric loop that gives the right appearance. That's usually easier than fussing with a four-in-hand or whatever's used on a real necktie anyway.

Mineko

Post by Mineko » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:45 am

mrs.tomoe wrote:Yep, that's a modified sailor collar. Some people make it sewn to the shirt while others make it detachable. There was once a diagram online. Wonder if I can find it again. I'll post it here if I do.

The scarf/necktie can be cheated: the knot needn't be a knot at all but just a separate fabric loop that gives the right appearance. That's usually easier than fussing with a four-in-hand or whatever's used on a real necktie anyway.
Thank you very much, especially if you find the pattern! I've had a few people say something along the lines of the same thing, but you're the only one who has offered real help. ^_^ I was planning on sewing the back of the vest to the back part of the neck of the shirt, where it would naturally rest. Not on the collar, of course. Just below it. I found -something- of a pattern, but it's just a normal sailor collar... and we're kind of having an issue resizing it so it will fit US instead of children. xD If you do find your pattern, please do post it up! I'll be very thankful.

Thanks again!

Oh, and I'm not just dumb for calling it a vest. -_- That's what they -call- it on most uniform sites, where you -buy them for school.-

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:55 am

You're welcome. I couldn't find the link I was thinking of (should've bookmarked it way back when I first saw it but didn't), but here's one that's helpful for all sorts of collars:

http://vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-07.html
Scroll down a bit to the "Half Roll Sailor Collar." You'll need to extend the back flap and make the right shape with the 2 points, but you get the idea here. Also the front will need adjustments to close higher and have a curved edge rather than straight. Just experiment by drawing on newspaper and cutting out your "patterns" to see whether they fit you & look decent. Remember to leave seam allowances. Once you've got the paper version the way you want, make a dummy collar from cheap muslin or any "throw-away" fabric you have. That'll show you whether you need to adjust your drawing prior to working with your good fabric.

The other thing about making attached sailor collars is that you'll probably need to make one side of the collar have an opening so that you can pull the shirt over your head. Simplicity 5982 is a kid's pattern, but it has instructions for making that hidden front opening. Otherwise, make the whole collar a separate piece and attach it to your shirt with a series of snaps around the neck opening. Space the snaps 2 inches apart or something, whatever works.

Mineko

Post by Mineko » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:57 am

Thank you very much. ^_^ I will be sure to modify it correctly.. and if anyone is interested, once the mods approve my having a cosplay profile, they can see my finished costume.. Right now, all we have are the hats done. xD Staff, working on tonight.. and the collars. These patterns will help a lot. By the way, Tomoe.. I loved your Kero costume!!

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:35 pm

You're welcome, and Thanks! I thought it'd be fun to do a different version of Kero. ^_^

How is the staff/wand coming along? May sound dorky, but I suggest using craft foam for the white wings on it. It's flexible so it won't break when you bump the wand into anything or anyone. No real suggestions for the rest of the "head." Just make sure the dowel goes far enough into it to prevent sagging/flopping over at the "neck."

We'll look forward to seeing photos of your competed outfits then. ^_^