Flared Skirt Help

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
hyperionwitch

Flared Skirt Help

Post by hyperionwitch » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:25 pm

Well, I'm working on a new costume and I've hit somewhat of a road block. I'm making Pudding from Space Channel 5 (here's a reference--she's the one wearing blue: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dreamcast ... tId,25869/ It's not a very good reference, but I swear that's the only decent one I can find...) and I don't know how to get the skirt to flare out like that. Right now I have a prom dress I cut to the right length. My mom suggested a hoop (like a hoop skirt), but I don't know where to GET a hoop. She also said to try a petticoat or something, but...I can't find any that aren't too poofy. My skirt leaves little room for flare.

If anyone could help me with this issue--suggestions for different solutions or where to get a hoop--it would be very much appreciated.

(Also, is there any way to make a non shiny dress shiny? You know...without buying a new dress? ^^; I thought I'd ask that too, while I was at it.)

WINGS

Post by WINGS » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:49 am

I don't think that I know of there is any way to make amaterial non shiny. As for the skirt poofing out, you could make your own petticoat to you own poofyness. Just get some fabric, I usually use cotton, since it is under the dress anyways, and eyelet lace, then I cut straight strips three times wider than my waist size and long enough so that you have enough allowance for sewing some eyelet lace onto it and short enough that it isn't going to show too much from underneath, I hope that made sense. Okay and you can do as many layers as needed, I usually sew a casing and put elastic through it so it is more comfy.
WINGS
We will be reborn...

WINGS "I can fly with my words"

Shiranui

Post by Shiranui » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:30 am

What about sewing a new skirt? I posted a Free Pattern List just yesterday and it includes a tutorial for making your very own pattern for a flared skirt.

I can't think of a way to get non-shiny stuff shiny, but what about using an extra layer of some half-transparent shiny fabric? Just use the dress as reference and wear it over it like a coat or something...

hyperionwitch

Post by hyperionwitch » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks, both of you. I'll probably do the petticoat...and what would I use to make the...um...shiny thing? Haha, so technical-sounding.

psychotictears

Post by psychotictears » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:17 pm

You should be able to find some translucent (semi-transparent) shiny fabric at a fabric store. If you can't find any, you could always ask the manager of the store if they could order you some. They're usually nice about things like that.
Saraa

Katasha

Post by Katasha » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:48 pm

I donno with the real futureistic desing of that skirt I would say put a wire in the bottem of it so it flairs out. A petticoat may not look right.
http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/co ... meid=57662

Wire's are in the bottem of these skirts, if you had a petticoat the bottem wouldent be as round as that.

Fénicia

Post by Fénicia » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:59 am

Just put some (bear)stuffing in those rolls on the bottom of your skirt, that helps to keep it in shape, but is still easy for sitting en washing. :wink: