Whoo, I need help with a Lolita costume

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
DiruLolita

Whoo, I need help with a Lolita costume

Post by DiruLolita » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:49 pm

I feel bad for posting this now, but I couldn't access this site before.
I would like tips/ advice on my problem: I have two weeks and no money, and i need to create a Gothic Lolita costume.
It needs to be as cheap as possible, but I need it to look good.
What would I need? I need guidelines, on what i should have and how to make it/ get it.
Again, I'm sorry about posting it so late, and I know it's very general, but if you can help, please do!
<~ Diru is teh smecksay ^^ ~>

ChibiNeko

Post by ChibiNeko » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:36 pm

As far as the no money problem goes, often old sheets and spiffy things picked up from a thrift store are really good for cheaper fabric solutios. Also, remnant stores and some thrift stores have lace and frills left over from other peopl's projects that are quite affordable. The poofy frilly underskirt I use on my lolita costumes I picked up from a thrift store, and all I needed to do was shorten and rehem it.
As a last minute resort (tho I strongly disaprove >.<) I've noticed at the part citys in arizona have been advertising extremely EGL reminiscent costumes for halloween (I myself am guilty of stealing ideas from those costumes >.<)
"I don't think sumos normally eat radios."
--Wagener Sensei

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:40 pm

It's not just Party City that does it, just about every place that sells Halloween costumes will have something EGL-like. You can also look at Hot Topic for ideas (their stuff is way too expensive and composed of nasty-feeling or thin fabrics for actual wearing, in my opinion, though).

Lace is your friend. You can look in sale bins at fabric stores (once I found some black Casa lace in the remnant place, and I found spools of lace trim in the sale racks at Joann's). I made my alternate colour Dejiko (black and blue) for around $15, including all eight yards of black broadcloth I used for the petticoat. The reason I mention this is because you could easily adapt it to a more EGL style. Old sheets would work fine as well, provided you can include their colours into whatever you're making.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

DiruLolita

Post by DiruLolita » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:33 pm

I actually have a black lace-trimmed slip that I want to put under it.
And i did go to HT...and you're right. Their stuff is seriously out of my budget, even though that one dress was perfect ;-;
Also. What about hair? I was going to leave mine mostly down, but make two small ponytails and curl them.....I can't find any headpieces, and I'm having the worst trouble making them.
(again) also. If anyone has pics that show their costumes specifically....the ones in the photoalbums or whatever aren't showing enough detail.

Traeonna

Post by Traeonna » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:03 am

Although I personally dislike Pop Gothic , it seems they do carry stuff that may prove helpful. As suggested by others, sometimes you can find jems at places like Goodwill, Savers, and other thrift stores. Check in the prom dress section...I actually raided a Savers in the area when doing a ghetto Western Goth outfit. I had 5 hours to slap together an outfit. Woo hoo!

Anyhow...are you going for Gosuloli, Kurorori, or EGL/EGA? Depending on which style...kinda depends on what to look for.

For Gosuloli and Kurorori, it's easy to find old short prom dresses with tulle underneath. Even if the dress is horrid, you can rape it for the tulle skirt and if you want it fluffier, then you can just buy some tulle at a fabric store and add it in. If you're lucky, you might find a wedding petticoat and you can chop that up to the right size.

I've known people to dye old white bedsheets to use as fabric. I also know a few gals who found old strawberry shortcake bedsheets and made and uber cute Amaloli outfit from them.

The problem with ghetto outfits is that you have to be willing to hunt, dig, and think creatively. When going to thrift shops, don't just look at completed things...look at stuff for components that you can cut, rip, and otherwise remove and reuse.

Here's how I did my ghetto Western Goth in 5 hours...

I had the shirt, which I modified years ago from an old prom dress my aunt gave me. I was much bigger than I was a few years back (hey, I had a 10 lb 7 oz boy, give me a break), so I took out the zipper in the back, I put in grommets on each side, then took a nice black ribbon and laced it corset style. Shirt complete.

The cape was actually the skirt part of the prom dress. I didn't have to do much to it since it was already hemmed. I unpicked a seam and made that the opening...I sewed the edges. Then I regathered the top by sewing two basting lines and pulling so it gathered. I took a velvet ribbon that I had in my scrap box, measured my neck and then folded it over the raw edge that was gathered, stitched it together, and then attached a frog closure (which I also had on hand in my miscellaneous stuff box). Cape complete.

The dress I found at Savers in the prom/formal section. It fit pretty well, except the straps. It had an ok amount of tulle underneath (I'm going to add more later). Luckily, I just fixed the straps around my collar and it was done.

I took the extra fabric I had from the dress (a small section from the dress actually that had a tear) and made matching bows for my hair.

Put on some fishnets...voila...ghetto Western goth in LESS than 5 hours!

DiruLolita

Post by DiruLolita » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:35 pm

Wow, thanks Traeonna, that helps a LOT :D
To be honest, I donn't know all the types of Lolita....EGL/EGA is the only one I recognize as a name. : blush : But thanks everyone for your help, and if anyone else has anything, PLEASE post. <3 thanks again

Traeonna

Post by Traeonna » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:56 am

Gosuloli (AKA Gothic Lolita, GothLoli, LoliGoth) is mysterious or scary with less frills where Kurorori (Black Lolita) is cute and has frills.

Gosuloli often wear crosses and carry purses in the shape of bats, coffins, and crucifixes. Typical fabric consists of velvet and taffeta (in America, during Halloween season, take advantage of the specialty fabric usually found...like mesh material with bats). Wear mainly black or dark blues and purples. Makeup includes black lipstick and false eyelashes.

Kurorori is the same as Sweet Lolita, but wears all black. Just think, extremely cute and childish. This style is characterized by lots of lace, frills, bows, and ruffles. It's very modest and tailored looking. The skirt length (with petticoat on) is usually at the knee, slightly above the knee, or a few inches below the knee. Typically wear Mary Janes or dress sandals. Sometimes wear mini crowns, mini sunhats, small bows for pigtails, one big bow, headdresses, and bonnets. Hair is typically worn with bangs for nearly every style regardless of hair texture; can be straight or curly; can be any length but is usually at least shoulder length and is typically worn in pigtails, but can be worn down if wearing hair accessories. Accessories include purses and small to medium bags, stuffed animals (teddy bears and rabbits, sometimes dogs and cats), parasols, and dolls.

EGA/EGL to "purists" they are NOT Gothic Lolita substyles. In 1999, Mana (of Malice Mizer) created his own clothing label, Moi-meme-Moitie, which featured two lines of designs named Elegant Gothic Lolita and Elegant Gothic Aristocrat. The label quickly established itself as one of the most coveted brands of the Gothic Lolita fashion scene. This style can also be considered part of the Visual Kei fashion scene as well. Although EGL is more feminine in the sense that it's mainly skirts and dresses and EGA is mainly pants, it is important to understand that either gender may wear either line of clothing. The clothing is usually limited to black, white, and other dark, natural colors, and the main image is founded on elegance and aristocratic nobility of the kind found in middle century Europe. It seems that attitude is changing and people accept anything that resembles the style started by Mana to be EGA/EGL.

Elegant Gothic Lolita (EGL): Focuses on a mature and elegant Victorian look. They also favour long skirts and jackets rather than the overtly "childish" designs of typical Gothic Lolita. Accessories include petticoats and panniers, parasols, Victorian bonnets, lace gloves, and frilly, ruffled, or lace-trimmed Victorian blouses. Colours are blacks with white edging.

Elegant Gothic Aristocrat (EGA): Focuses on very elegant, long coats and very archduke/prince-like demeanor, or just debonair rich man. Walking sticks, top hats, and men's gauntlets. Shares EGL's emphasis on the Victorian era, and the style itself centers on the concept of "androgyny," and as such often has identical outfits for both men and women.

DiruLolita

Post by DiruLolita » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:43 pm

Ohhhhh. Well. Gosuloli is what I'm going to be headed for, most likely, because I have a few things already that I may as well take advantage of: my coffin purse, my dark makeup, such other things. Because you designated as such, I'm going to resist the urge to combine Gosuloli with Kurorori....unless a demented, two-headed stuffed rag kitty would somehow make it into Gosu.
Thank you SO much, Trae, you've been loads of help.

Traeonna

Post by Traeonna » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:40 am

DiruLolita wrote:Because you designated as such, I'm going to resist the urge to combine Gosuloli with Kurorori....unless a demented, two-headed stuffed rag kitty would somehow make it into Gosu.
Honestly, there's no need to "stay" within one style or another, but that's just how things are defined in general. Seriously, it IS all about self expression, but some people are label nazis, just be aware. I wouldn't say I'm a nazi, but there seriously is a difference between Gosuloli and Kurorori, but everyone seems to call EVERYTHING Lolita these days, Gothic Lolita...and that just disturbs me. I mean, I can hardly call a Sweet Country Lolita...Goth...ya know?!

Gosuloli is more along the lines of what we think of as Western Goth (well, old Western Goth...it seems to get sluttier and trashier by the minute in this area...hardly what I would deem Goth...I mean, if they looked Lolita, they would probably be Erorori, but most of these girls...they look trampy), but with the Japanese Lolita style. Take Lolita...make it Goth...voila!

Kurorori is a type of Sweet Lolita. There's also Shirololi (White Lolita), Pinkurori (Pink Lolita), and Mizuirorori (Blue Lolita). Then you start getting into Himeloli, Anchikuloli, etc.

Kurorori is CUTE, not CREEPY like Gosuloli...Gosuloli reminds me of old vampire movies where Kurorori reminds me of clothes you'd wear to a funeral. You wouldn't want to look all creepy for your mom's funeral, right? Anyhow, just my take on it.

DiruLolita

Post by DiruLolita » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:39 pm

I wouldn't want to look creepy for my mom's funeral.....
But
My mother is still alive :shock: XDD Well. I do get what you mean about Western Goth these days, and it's like the outlines for....well....EVERYTHING are getting blurred. Slap some studs or spikes on a black anything and there you go, Goth : shudder : That causes a problem for me at school, because while I don't wear all black, I dress very......different.....o.o It may suffice to say I've almost certainly getting Most Unique Style in superlatives.
Well. Like I said, I've got some stuff I should take advantage of: I have a pleather-ish coffin purse a friend gave me years ago, some dark makeup crap, and then my friend has this cute/ frightening two-headed rag kitty. <3 It's so cute. I'm using a dress from that same friend's friend, but I haven't SEEN it......
Which I need to hurry up and get it.....: grrrr :

Traeonna

Post by Traeonna » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:48 pm

I'd love to see photos of the completed outfit. :)

DiruLolita

Post by DiruLolita » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:07 am

Oh, certainly. I'm going to make a guess, from your icon, that you're in with Gaia? Me too. Look up Tsukichi, and you'll find my most wonderous self XD But yes, I do intend to have pictures up.