Edward Elric Costume Help

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Mia The Cat

Edward Elric Costume Help

Post by Mia The Cat » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:43 am

Okay, I need help making Ed's outfit. I don't need help with the automail, I have a referance, but I need help on the rest of the outfit...
Ummm... Hi.

Mia The Cat

Post by Mia The Cat » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:07 pm

Okay, I should be more specific.

I'm in need of help on the red part of his outfit, and finding boots that look like his. If anybody has suggestions as to where to look for the stuff I'd need, or even WHAT I'd need, I'd apreaciate it.
Ummm... Hi.

Skull Rabbit

Post by Skull Rabbit » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:00 pm

The coat? Just buy a pattern to make a coat, or a shirt pattern and just modify it make it longer. It's not too hard of a concept if you really think about how to make it, etc.

The boots, just keep looking in all kinds of different stores. Thrift stores, department stores, boutiques, whatever.

Not A Pipsqueak!

Ehhhh!

Post by Not A Pipsqueak! » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:42 pm

Ehhh! Look! Another Ed-cosplayer! Wee! Er...>> I had coffee. Ahem...I'm okay. Anyways--I'm headed to SugoiCon and I'm having the same problems. Maybe you should get some type of model of his outfit, so you can get some help making it--like have some help sewing it up, eh? ._. I have an Ed action figure...>> So I have a good model? <<
Get any really good ways to get the costume, please let meh know. e.e I need some help, too!
Power to the short people?!
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to ME!

dnangelsora

Post by dnangelsora » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:22 pm

for the boots, i've noticed that people buy lace-up boots and just paint the bottom portion (the rubber/sole) red. I would probably look in the mens section in a shoe store (like payless) or go to where they would sell work shoes (like heavy boots)

like mentioned above, the coat shouldn't be hard to do.
i'm a big fan of cotton material. It's cheap and comes in lots of colors.
that can be found at a material store and surprisingly at Wal-mart (in the craft section)

here's a reference pic for the whole costume
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/imag ... edward.jpg

any specific questions? ask away!
p.s. "power to the short people"
-"Passion" by Utada Hikaru

Daru

Post by Daru » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:16 pm

I did my first cosplay ever last week, it was spirit week at my school and for super hero day, I dressed as none other than Ed Elric. After I wore it that day, two other people wanted to cosplay on another day, so then there was a Ed Elric, Inuyasha, and Roy Mustang walking around school. It was loads of fun.

For the red coat, I bought a one-peice devil costume with a hood. It was one of those that has the see-through black mask on front. I cut the sleves to the right length, and cut it a little shorter on the bottom. Removed the black from the hood, and cut it open in the front. I used iron-transfer paper to iron black material onto the back for the alchimest symbol.

The boots I used harley davidson boots. They're big, heavy lace up boots, and they worked great. I didn't worry about the red on bottom, because it's a minute detail. (and I ran out of time!) I also didn't wear... automail... No idea how I would make it, and it was just too much hastle for something that was under the coat anyways.

Here's some pictures.

----Next day---
I now have blonde hair :P

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:30 pm

Aww, you lucky person. Our school is horrible when it comes to dress code... they won't let me wear my cat ears on the grounds that they are a "head covering". It is so ridiculous... I know they're just making up rules as they go.

I have a few aces up my sleeve, though. ^_~
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!