Sound Pretear

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Lady Subaru

Sound Pretear

Post by Lady Subaru » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:09 pm

I'm trying to make the Sound Pretear outfit and I was wondering how to make the border and the image design on the top part of the outfit without looking really bad x.x;;... I was thinking about iron-on transfer, but afraid of cracks forming in the design due to being stretched out by my chest ^^;;. Also wondering how to make the top part of the skirt to lay straight out like it does in the images. I think that's all I have to ask for right now ^^;.

Reference Images:
http://www.geocities.com/chibiotakupara ... -anime.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/chibiotakuparadise/sound.png
Last edited by Lady Subaru on Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyperionwitch

Post by hyperionwitch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:25 pm

Well...as far as the top design goes, I'd use felt cutouts. 'Course, that's all I know how to do, really (I'm a newbie at cosplay). It stretches a bit, though, so you'd have to...like, cut the felt design out and pin it (carefully) onto the outfit while it's being worn. And it might not look quite right. >_>

Just an option, I guess. ^^;

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:50 pm

You could just use bias tape (for the top) or just get a piece of cloth the same colour as the border and cut pieces to fold over the edges and sew (like bias tape).

You could just take the same fabric as the skirt and applique it on the front for the design (it's the same colour).

Making the top part lay like that might be difficult, you'd have to cut it so sticks out like that already. If you made the top part in panels (front left, front right, back left, back right) you'd have to cut the bottom part (the bottom edge) so it's really wide. ILLUSTRATION! YAY! The bit on the left is just that part of the dress as viewed from the front. The right hand side is what the actual piece of fabric would look like, sort of. You'd need side-pieces as well. Depending on what kind of fabric you used, you may want to interface it, as well, to keep it smooth and sticking-out.

If that didn't make any sense, I apologize. Just PM me if you need me to clarify.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

saihi_slowmotionhunter

Post by saihi_slowmotionhunter » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:54 pm

Sound Pretear? ... ah... yes, the good old days when I was obsessing over Sasame to the point where mom decided I needed therapy....

wait. you didn't hear that.

uh.... sound pretear. right. well, I did do a sound pretear costume *no where on the web will you find it though* and let me say it's harder than it really looks. if you're trying to hit standards like some of the sound pretear i've stumbled on while surfing the web, then forget what i'm saying about hard. Those Pretears *to my standards* don't hit anything.

For the 'S' sound image, if you're willing to continue, I suggest you use poly paint. That's what I used it and it turned out so good. *nummy* I used the 3-d kind, would of used felt for fillers if I found the correct colors *growls*.

The trims? Use bias tape. I used lots and lots of bias tapes. They turn out really neat and pretty and clean if you attach them correctly.

Lay straight? You mean poof out like it does? Ahhh... *sweat drops* wonderful downfall. I figured that part out pretty well but at the end of it all, my costume exploded, so bye bye.

Use a frame. Or make one. *idea occurs to her* or maybe use boning. It's still flexible, giving the skirt it's bouncy feel.

But I still say use frame.... or wire.... or use sock spray so that it holds the skirt still in position. I've got good advice from that and it worked wonders on my Yuna wedding dress *yet to post that picuture too*

Um..... i still say it's a difficult costume, but have fun whatever I say, okay? I'm right behind ya. A lot of people have said before I couldn't do this or that costume and right so that I should just give up. Well, now after the completetion of said costumes, and right now i really wanna lose my etiquette on them *but is learning to /restrain/*.

Um... have fun ^-^;;; pm me if you need any more help or advice. learn from peoples mistake, or whatever they said...
if you want me to fall for you, you have to give me something worth tripping over.