Constructing wings for Wedding Yuna?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
saihi_slowmotionhunter

Constructing wings for Wedding Yuna?

Post by saihi_slowmotionhunter » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:57 am

Saihi: OKIES.... OKIES... OKIES OKIES... .I can do this..... okaies....

um... okie...

Yumi: *raises brow* .....

Saihi: SHUT UP!! I'm trying to help you here!

Yumi: I didn't say anything....

Saihi: Okaies people, before I say anymore 'okies', we need help. I finish the Yuna Wedding dress for *points up* that little annoying girl up there, but there's only two things holding me back, yes, besides from shortage on cash and her owing me about billions of dollars at this point.

Yumi: Not billions...

Saihi: If you add them all up, calculate and then add INTERESTS then YES billions of dollars. But that's besides the point. Two things holding us back:

1) wings. We need help constructing them. I really don't feel like going out to biy them because the ones sold in stores look really cheap and they don't look anything like what I need.

Yumi: What's the second one? Boots?

Saihi: Well, yes, besides from boots. Those you can get your friend to buy off ebay but what you need is how to hold up the goddamn dress without a halter or cross-stitch/ croset. What do you propose? Starch?

Yumi: ...

Saihi: .... yeah.... that's kinda strange..... but anyway, please, besides from everything else, we need help on the wings because in .... um....

Yumi: *counting on her fingers and writing on desk* um.... 28 days?

Saihi: Yea, 28 days we're off to anime expo and you're just sitting on your butt while I do all the work dammit!

Yumi: *sweatdrops* I'm... sorry?

Saihi: I hope a guilty consience BITES you one day....

Yumi: *whines* I wanna go to lunch....

Saihi: *sighs* I have to say bite.....

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:39 am

Clear straps are probably the easiest way to hold up the dress. They sell them in pairs, and some styles even have little gems which could be nice with the outfit. Either attach them to the dress itself, or use a bra with clear straps and attach the dress to the bra with snaps at 2-inch intervals.
Let's say you don't want to use clear straps. If you put boning in the dress bodice, that will help it stay up better. You make the dress snug around the waist, and the boning helps the top "stand" rather than gradually scrunching down like socks do. Unless the dress is really tight (which is uncomfortable and not recommended), it may still want to slip down slightly so, as an added measure, you can use sock glue or toupee tape to stick the upper edge of the dress to your friend's body. Use rubbing alcohol beforehand to clean the skin where the adhesive will stick so it gets a really good grip.

Got no advice for wings, though, because I haven't ever made feather ones.

Have fun at AX! ^_^

saihi_slowmotionhunter

Post by saihi_slowmotionhunter » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:23 pm

yumi says: *blinks* *blinks blinks* *rereads about a billion times* Um..... thank you so much for the advice.... but I have just one puny question....

What is boning?!

SaihiL *sighs and rolls eyes* the things I do for you and you never pay any attention.

Yumi; And what's sock glue?! what's a bodice?! What's touppe tape?!

Saihi bodice is 'body' smart one. glue is glue. toupe is pants.

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:57 pm

You two are funny. ^_^

Boning is strips of plastic that give things like corsets or fancy dresses their shape. Sort of like a "skeleton" to keep the fabric from sagging. Before plastic was invented, people used whale bone which is where the name 'boning' comes from. It's sewn vertically on the inside usually along the side seams, two seams in the front (princess seams), and two in the back. One type of boning at the fabric store comes with its own fabric casing (covering) so it can be added even though your dress is entirely sewn already.

Yes, bodice refers to body. It's the part of the dress between the waist and the shoulders.

Sock glue is a latex - at least I think it's latex ^^; - glue that some people use to keep the tops of their socks from sliding down.

A toupe (too-PAY) is a hairpiece to cover baldness, and toupe tape is tape that keeps it in position on your head. It should also work for clothing.

If you decide to use any kind of adhesive, remember to clean your skin with rubbing alcohol first, or it won't stick well at all.

Hope that's a bit clearer. ^_^

saihi_slowmotionhunter

Post by saihi_slowmotionhunter » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:43 am

Thakies! Now.... um.... how would we be attaching the bouquet of fake flowers/roses to the wings, or would we be attaching them seperately...?

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:19 am

I think you ought to attach the flowers to the dress and not to the wings because even though the flowers would be fairly light, you don't want anything to pull the wings into a funny position. Use a scrap of fabric that matches the dress; the scrap should be big enough to stretch over the center of the wings and snap to the dress both above and below the wings. Think of it as something like a vertical bandage with the cotton square in the middle on the wings and the two sticky parts pressed to the dress. Of course, your fabric piece will have to be wide enough to be a firm base for your bouquet, and it's usually a good idea to make it slightly bigger than what you think you'll need because once the flowers are attached, the fabric will be stiffer and won't stretch over the wings as easily. Finish the edges of the fabric so they don't fray: either hem it all the way around or sew two identical pieces together like a pillowcase. Sew two big snaps opposite from each other, or if the zipper is in the way, you may need to use 4 snaps -- one pair on each side of the zipper. Now you can hot glue (for stability) and hand stitch (for security) your bouquet to this base. Sew the mates of the snaps to your dress, and you should be all set.

WINGS

Yuna Wings

Post by WINGS » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:44 pm

It's prolly too late now but I have made a pair of these wings. I used fun foam and then sewed hook and eye's onto the wings and the back of the dress I glued the feathers on the fun foam to resemble wings. The flowers I used were small but the same colors as in the game and I hot glued them onto the wings themselves. As for holding up your dress as Mrs Tomoe said you should use boning it will help you greatly. Boning gives body and will hold up your dress.
WINGS