cloud's sword, help!

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
chibi neko

cloud's sword, help!

Post by chibi neko » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:19 pm

ANy advise on how to make the buster sword would be great
Hug a Kitty

zeroyager

I'm workin on one to

Post by zeroyager » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:51 pm

Hi, I'm making 1 for my friend for the next convention.
how I started was by getting close ups of the sword and Cloud and the sword is almost as tall as him, so what i di was measured the height of my friend and subtracted a few inches off the length. Then I got a LONG piece of drawing paper to make a sample of what it looks like. The handle is around about 7-9inches and about 1 to 1 1/2inch diameter. the blade itself i'm thinking of using either 1/2inch pine wood or the green foam that they sell at craft stores. I used 5 screw capheads for the base of the sword. For the 2 big holes I used the drill bit that they use to put handels on the door. thats all i got for right now but i'll get u more ideas and tips if u want just write back. :lol:

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:55 pm

If you're thinking to use that green foam- go to a Home Depot or similar and buy a big sheet of pink foam insulation. They're really huge (we had to cut it to fit it in the bed of my mom's pickup), and about an inch thick, which means there's enough to put multiple layers together to add strength to the sword. Then you'd want to coat the outside with something- papier mache or that plastic stuff that Sterling's mentioned several times in the past.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:14 pm

Paper Mache LOL

And that plastic stuff is CONTACT PAPER. It's a sticky plastic sheet ment for car detailing or Model aircrafts. It comes in many colors and patterns and can be found at most Hobby stores.

tiny_princess

Post by tiny_princess » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:05 pm

if you have home hardware stores in the states they sell it too i know i work at home hardware hehehe

taeliac_studio

Post by taeliac_studio » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:35 pm

Sterling wrote:And that plastic stuff is CONTACT PAPER. It's a sticky plastic sheet ment for car detailing or Model aircrafts. It comes in many colors and patterns and can be found at most Hobby stores.
Can it be found in large enough chunks? I'm looking for it to make a Tetsuaiga, so it needs to be some 4 feet long by 2 or so feet wide...

Oh, do you know anywhere to get the metal look contact paper? I saw some on one of those home improvment shows my mother watches, but I cannot for the life of me find somewhere that carries it. I've contacted Home Depot, Lowes, Menards... ^^;

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:03 pm

oh-yeah, It's like Wall paper

Animakitty

Actually,

Post by Animakitty » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:32 am

There's a 'shelf-liner' that's pretty much just like contact paper with a brushed steel look to it. I got mine at Lowe's, (although it was tough to find on the shelves. It may be in the wrong box; take a good long hard look at their selection of shelf-liner papers) the only problem I had with it is that when I unrolled it, a crease appeared immediately and ruined the smoothness of the sheet. I unrolled more, and the crease grew. O,O What a pain in the butt.

I bought it to make labels that look like machine labels. If you print your label on a transparency, then adhere it to a backing of this shelf-liner stuff, you end up with a label that looks like it's printed on a metal plate.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:57 pm

I just made one of all wood. It's looking great aside from paint. Would you like any info on all wood?

Captaincougar

Post by Captaincougar » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:29 pm

Rawr! X3