making a snow board

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Pokegirl

making a snow board

Post by Pokegirl » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:00 pm

ok,I want to make a snow board like treys from shaman king,but I don't know how or what to do to make one

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:13 pm

I believe that snowboards are made from reinforced fiberglass, much like surfboards, only you'll never see me with a snowboard.

Thge main diffrence in the two is that a snowboard has a honeycomb lattice within the interior of the board, in order to allow it to better support impact pressure. This happens everytime you take a jump on a snowboard. Since the only time you have significant impact on a surfboard, you're smashing into rocks and are more concerned with saving your life, surfboards are built with more of an eye to water displacement than strength.

This lattice should be extruded in one piece using a highly impact resistant, semi flexible plastic, IE nothing I use. ABS might work, but I wouldn't use that one on anything but the bunny slope. Mmmmm bunny.
Real men sew!

Tigerye Productions: Props, weapons, and much more. I can do that!
"Ebay is the best bet as they are unfeeling there and cold. " - Hemuloki

A-20

Re: making a snow board

Post by A-20 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:54 am

Pokegirl wrote:ok,I want to make a snow board like treys from shaman king,but I don't know how or what to do to make one
You're makin' the snow board? Coolies :D I still gotta figure out how to make Len's weapon so I can whack ya with it. :lol:
YAY~! Pillow fight! XD
Run Goku! RUN!

Pokegirl

Post by Pokegirl » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:24 am

thanks black tiger.oh,since this is just a prop,should I make the body out of chicken wire and cover with paper macha?

A-20!you're going ot wack me?! :lol: :cry:

big_ryo202

Post by big_ryo202 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:19 pm

well.....i dunno if you're strapped for cash or if you're a purist and like to make things yourself but, wouldn't it be easier to just buy a cheap snowboard from toys R' us and do a custom paintjob then?

why wont you die, damned kitteh!?!?!?1

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:33 am

I agree, big_ryo202. One of my friends bought a snowboard at the thrift store for 5 bucks (in Florida of all places!) and painted it with Horo Horo's graphics. If you can't find one to buy, cut one from 1/4-inch plywood and add straps with nylon webbing. It won't need the real foot things because you're not actually sporting with it, and no one will notice anyway. If you can't get wood, glue together 3 or 4 layers of cardboard from a big box. It'll look fine after painting.

Pokegirl

Post by Pokegirl » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:22 pm

I'll look on e bay

A-20

Post by A-20 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:49 am

Pokegirl wrote:A-20!you're going ot wack me?! :lol: :cry:
Hey, you said I could if you got annoying,remember? :P
YAY~! Pillow fight! XD
Run Goku! RUN!