Help! Does spray-on hair color really do justice?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
dnangelsora

Help! Does spray-on hair color really do justice?

Post by dnangelsora » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:47 am

i want to cosplay as Einsatz of Lagoon Engine Einsatz. I have long enough hair, so that's okay.
BUT, i really want my hair to be blue.
Question is, can i use that spray-on hair color that they sell at halloween stores?
i've never had the experience of trying this stuff and i was just wondering if it comes out okay, or if taken care of properly, would last about 5-6 hours?

my last resort is a wig, but i'm not high on cash for awhile...=^_^=

help would be greatly appreciated.

need a pic?> http://www.newtype-usa.com/
(the one on the cover)
-"Passion" by Utada Hikaru

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:34 pm

Okay, the strange thing with spray on color is that it sometimes looks good on people with very very short hair. Really only boys can pull it off but even then, it looks fake.

For your hair though, it won't look good no matter what you do. Spray on color looks fake, it's not even and it makes your hair very very crusty.

I know that the spray will last pretty much all day but it'll look bad all day and start to thin out. O.o

I would just go with a wig but if this is for a quick replacement, just go for a regular Halloween store wig. They are nice for experiments and replacements until you get better wigs. If not, just go to Amphigory and buy one there.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:53 pm

They also sell Temp color that you can wash in. It will wash out in 2 days with Denerex.

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:24 pm

That stuff just lingers in your hair and depending on your shade of hair color, it doesn't get the right shade.

dnangelsora

wow

Post by dnangelsora » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:40 pm

thank you for the help =^_^=

NyuNyu

Post by NyuNyu » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:48 pm

I've only seen that stuff look good a few times. Once it was on very short, naturally light blonde hair. Otherwise the color is not vibrant enough. My friend got really crappy yellow hair spray dye and his hair was GREEN >.< Yeah he was Ed Elric from FMA with green hair ew. The stuff doesn't even show up in my hair hardly at all. Wigs are worth the money! If you really can't afford one I think it's better to go with your natural hair color and maybe just try to style it like theirs if you can. Or just save up for a good wig that you can reuse between costumes maybe. The cheap ones at Halloween stores usually cause more frustration than they are worth!

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:04 am

The cheap wigs cause frustration yes, but for $12 they make great replacement wigs until you can either afford a better one or just need to buy a new one unexpectedly.

Uke Eiri

Post by Uke Eiri » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:42 pm

Spray in hair color can look great and natural if you have some time. When I did my Shuichi costume I didn't have time to get the wig so I was able to put up my hair (about 2 feet) and spray the entire thing. When I took pics it looked very natural. The key is brushing it in while you apply it. However the only problem is that it might come off on your clothing but it should wash out depending on the material. I wore it like that for two days and went clubing the next nite and it still looked natural.

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:16 pm

O_o my first question: what colour is your hair, and what kind of spray stuff did you get?

If you have dark hair, it won't work if you brush it in. Though it does make for some amusement if you go under a blacklight. I sprayed my dark brown hair pink then brushed it, it was barely purple. Then I went to play lasertag and my hair lit up like a neon sign. And to think I wondered why everyone kept shooting at me.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

blue_eyed_fairy

Post by blue_eyed_fairy » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:53 pm

at anime boston 2003 i could not afford a wig of the lenth i wanted, but my real hair was just right, my natural color is dark brown. i needed blue. so i got a pump bottle on clearance after halloween and tryed that. it worked really well, i was suprized. i pulled my hair up in the desired style then had a friend help spray and then coated in hair spray. if you put hair spray on first the color won't stick so good. it was a one day then wash out spray and some color did rub off on my costume but it all came out. my one mistake was trying to save the planet and getting pump spray insteed of the normal airsole, it was hard to keep pumping it.
i do think that a wig is a better answer because this past summer i used the same costume, but my hair is much shorter now, so i did get a wig fot it. it was a time saver getting ready, just plop on secure and good to go. and i can use it again for another costume or if i just want to do the same one again!
"Your eyes may be the window to your soul,
but your zipper is the window to you underwear....."

I staff AAC!
play with me at anotheranime con.com

Siaarn

Post by Siaarn » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:36 am

I COME BRINGING TIPS! XD Anyways, I didn't read all the replies, because I'm tired, so forgive me if I'm copying someone. But once I used red hair spray, and of course it looked crappy. So I brushed my hair with the spray in it, and it actually turned out quite good, but I had to use ALOT of spray. It also made my brush dirty. But either way, it looked alright.
Oh my gawsh.

dnangelsora

my hair is a dark brown

Post by dnangelsora » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:59 pm

mindtailor wrote:O_o my first question: what colour is your hair, and what kind of spray stuff did you get?

If you have dark hair, it won't work if you brush it in. Though it does make for some amusement if you go under a blacklight. I sprayed my dark brown hair pink then brushed it, it was barely purple. Then I went to play lasertag and my hair lit up like a neon sign. And to think I wondered why everyone kept shooting at me.

i have a dark brown hair color. I hadn't bought any spray yet, but i'm going to try to buy the wig instead because the costume i'm wearing had white on it, and i don't want to get it full of the stuff...

hiei/is/2/hot

Post by hiei/is/2/hot » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:37 pm

It worked for me...but I used black & white on my dark, dark, dark brown hair :lol:
ImageA Hero, is not afraid to give his life for what is right...

ChibiNeko

Post by ChibiNeko » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:27 pm

... I've only had very bad experiences with spray. One, the color is'nt very bold, two, it makes your hair really stiff, three, it flakes everywhere, and four, it doesn't react well with light clothing. The brush-in kind worked okay (it comes in a plastic tube with an attached brush) but it takes a lot of these and the color isn't very bright either.
"I don't think sumos normally eat radios."
--Wagener Sensei