Presea Combatir

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
The Small One

Presea Combatir

Post by The Small One » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:25 pm

First off, let me aplogize for my horrible spelling. I can not spell for the life of me. TT__TT I'm attempting (key word: attempting) to cosplay as Presea Combatir, from the game Tales of Symphonia. I can't seem to figure out how to get the top of her gloves to.. erm... stand out like that. Aslo, I have no clue as to how I am soposed to make her key crest. (Or at least I think that's her key crest, I couldn't exactly see what it looked like in the game.) Any suggestions?

http://tales.namco.com/images/con_presea.jpg

Meriadoc

Post by Meriadoc » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:42 pm

Your spelling's fine. ^^

Any of my posts are intended for a low budget, so if you are willing to spend a lot of money I would wait for better suggestions....

You could probably put some wire or plastic circlets in the tops of the gloves.

A friend of mine on a low budget was cosplaying a character from Magic Knight Rayearth, and she cut the bottom out of a plastic cup and covered it with fabric to make stand-up gloves a bit like these. It looked quite nice, actually.

As for the key crest...I dunno much about metal working but you could always find something akin to it from antique store.
Last edited by Meriadoc on Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glass snow

Post by glass snow » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:45 pm

okay, well with her gloves you will use a material called interfacing, just ask some one at the cloth store and they will help you, even bring a picture of what you want to do and they should be able to help you.
Material wise for her gloves I would use spandex or a lycra material since they fit so closly, but do remember that interfacing does not stretch so make the hole big enough yet snug enough for your arm to go in easily and so that it will stay up on your arm.

For her crest..if you used any hard material you could not bend your neck for a day or risk performing your own treachiotomy, so this is what I would suggest. Get some Foamies sheets, about two so that you can double layer the crest, cut the shape out, then get some " jones tones" ( you can either get it at michaels craft stores or from dharmatrading.com..do a search for jones tones..jpones tones is a an extremly flexibal craft/fabric paint that will not rack like puff paint or peel!) and paint the thing to your desired colors and patters, then glue the jewel on with some good standing craft glue. Then glue some sort of string/ribbon onto the back of the crest with good glue and fasten the string/ribbon in the back.

God bless and keep you on the safe side..I am sure your costume will turn out really well!
Choice of faith should not be somthing that seperates us, but somthing that ties us..love is the ultimate key.

tddm.org - nice daily words
homestarrunner.com <------ GO THERE ITS SOOO HALARIOUSE!

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:27 am

I made some similar additions to some gloves for Wizard of Angelic Layer. They were wrist gloves though. Your long ones will need a little different technique. I used a strip of craft foam to make the stand-out cuffs. You just measure, cut, and tape the ends together to make the ring shape. Then measure and cut a strip of fabric to cover the craft foam -- fold over the foam like a taco. Leave 1-1/2 to 2 inches on the long edges for seam allowance and tapering. You want to taper the fabric from the big size of the cuff to the smaller size of the glove. Stitch the ends of the fabric strip together, then when you fold it in half lenghtwise (end seam turned to inside), the foam cuff should fit right inside it. With the cuff in upside-down postition (raw edge pointing up, folded edge pointing down toward the fingers of the glove), sew the cuff to the glove about 3/4 to 1 inch from the top elastic edge of the glove. You need that elastic edge to keep the glove from sliding down your arm, and the cuff will conceal it anyway. When you're done stitching, turn the cuff upside-up, and it should look mostly like the character drawing. You may need to either add interfacing or fabric stiffener to the tapered bit between the cuff and glove if it wants to sag.

How was that? Clear as mud? ^^;

For the golden emblem thing, gold tablecloth vinyl might also work if you can find the type without the fuzzy backing. You'd probably need to cut the design slightly thicker than what the drawings show, but that would help it show up better in photos too. You could use spirit gum or sock glue to paste it directly onto yourself.