Where can I find EL Wire in Stores, and what is the best w..

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
cjthadj420

Where can I find EL Wire in Stores, and what is the best w..

Post by cjthadj420 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 pm

I've been looking everywhere for EL Wire, and can't seem to find it anywhere!! Does anyone know where I can find it in stores?

And secondly, once I do find it,what is the best way to attach it to fabric? I'm making a glowing vest, and am planning on lining the seams and pockets with it, but have never used the stuff. Should I glue it? Or sew the corners down? Or sew over the entire thing? Whats the best way to go about this?

New to the site but love the forums so far!!! Thanks for the help friends :D

Big Diana

Re: Where can I find EL Wire in Stores, and what is the best

Post by Big Diana » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Fry's Electronics! They have wire, battery packs, and connectors! As for connecting it, I liked to use a combination of sewing and glue. I mostly sew down the corners and use small amounts of glue occasionally in-between to keep it attached to the costume.

cjthadj420

Re: Where can I find EL Wire in Stores, and what is the best

Post by cjthadj420 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:55 pm

No way! There is a Fry's right down the road!!! :D So a combination of glueing and sewing would work best? Is this stuff machine washable or will it damage the lights? It says online that it's waterproof, but my worry is that a washing machine will just be too rough for it. I'll be using it at festivals, so being able to clean it would be really nice.