Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
OriSODEhime

Post by OriSODEhime » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:18 am

Heeeeey everyone! I'm fairly new here and I was hoping to receive some advice from a few fellow cosplayers.

Okay, so i'm getting ready for Seishun-Con in June, and I want to cosplay Avatar Korra from The Legend of Korra. I found some ideas as to how to get started on DeviantArt, but I wanted some professional help. What I feel most confident about right now is that I don't need a wig for my cosplay, seeing how my hair is the right length and shade. The same goes for the boots. I mean, I can find a good pair of Gold Paladin boots and sew on some fur, right?

Right now, I need advice on how to plan out/make:
~The hair accessories,
~The arm band,
~The arm braces,
~The shirt,
~The fur pelt/coat around the waist,
~The blue triangular apron-thing,
~And the pants.

Anyone have any helpful tips? Much appreciated, thank you. ^^

PiratingYourDreams

Re: Avatar Korra Cosplay. Advice?

Post by PiratingYourDreams » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Hello there! I don't know how much of this costume you've already figured out how to make, but I'll give my opinions on what you've got listed.

The hair accessories: you could use hair curlers like these http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_a ... urlers.jpg and wrap them in material. You could even go cheaper and use toilet paper rolls. You can make them tighter, too. You might also find a way to attach a hair clip to it so it stays better.

The arm band/braces: for the band, get some white material and blue fabric paint and make it. Use elastic to keep it up. Same thing for the braces, just use blue material and no need for paint.

The shirt: you might be able to find an Asian style shirt, or make one using a chef coat and take off the sleeves, then add white material for the white parts. You might even be able to go to a store that sells dance wear and find a leotard in the color you want then add to or dye it.

The fur/pelt around the waist: get a brown skirt, cut it up to look like the one she wears, then go to a fabric store and get some fur trim then sew it on

The apron thing: get a dark blue waist apron. Cut up and re-sew to make it look right

Pants: baggy sweat pants might work. Or doctor pants from a medical surplus store.

Any questions, feel free to message me!
Check me out on the webs at Costume Me