cleaning a 'dry clean only' costume

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
WilwarinAndamar

cleaning a 'dry clean only' costume

Post by WilwarinAndamar » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:56 pm

Not really a construction question, but I didn't know where else to post this.

I modified a 'dry-clean only' jacket for my NightWalker costume. The hair dye I used rubbed off and now there is a big dark spot where my hair was on the back, collar, and shoulders.

I don't want to run the risk of ruining the jacket by machine washing it (everything else is hand-sewn and I don't fully trust my stitching will last through the rinse cycle). My sink isn't big enough to hand wash it. There isn't a dry cleaner nearby, and it's kind of expensive for a college student.

Since I live relatively near my parents' house but don't have a car, I could ask my dad to Dryel it, but I don't know if he would have time to get it, wash it, and return it before Halloween (and I still don't trust my sewing enough to let it be thrown in the dryer either).

:cry: What do I do?
"I'm through accepting limits
'Cause someone says they're so.
Some things I cannot change
But 'til I try I'll never know."

~ "Defying Gravity" from "Wicked"

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:55 pm

If your sink isn't big enough, try a bathtub or storage bins. I really don't know what will help.
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:31 pm

mix some dawn soap with water and constintaly house that spot from the inside out (Revers the dirt) and than rinse with luke water.