Military Uniform????

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
peppermintjam

Military Uniform????

Post by peppermintjam » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:25 am

Hey! This is my first time actually trying to make a costume so I was wondering if anyone had any insights or tips for a beginner like me! I'm contemplating cosplaying as Italy from Axis Powers Hetalia. Does anyone know of a good way to start sewing? Or if you know any good sewing patterns that might do the trick I'd really appreciate it! (XD I'm also at a loss for the pants!)

Here's an example of the costume! (He's the largest character in blue on the right.)

(A deviant art drawing by:DreamerTakako)

and...

Thank you so much in advance!!!

mrs.tomoe

Re: Military Uniform????

Post by mrs.tomoe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:32 am

I think you won't be happy making this project if it's your first time sewing. Collar, cuffs, patch pockets, buttonholes...these don't make life easy for a beginner. Sorry that's not great news. Just get some practice in you before trying this jacket. The pants would be easy if you cheat and make them pull-on pants instead of button & zipper.

As for starting to sew, get some books on it from the library. Make sure they have lots of pictures to help you along. The books will teach you all the jargon so that when you use patterns, you'll understand what the instructions mean.

When you're ready,hHere's a possible pattern: http://tinyurl.com/b7opju
Ignore the loud fabrics in the examples, and scroll down to the diagrams. It has all the elements and the boxy shape. Increase the number of pockets to 4 instead of 1 and choose a heavier fabric.

peppermintjam

Post by peppermintjam » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:27 am

Thank you for all the advice and pattern! Yeah... I figured it'd be a pretty difficult project, so I might just take your advice and put it off until I got a few more cosplay experiences under my belt!

Thank you! n.n

jesoda3510

Post by jesoda3510 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:13 am

I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. forex robot