I need some help for Vanille's (FFXIII) weapon.

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Grem

I need some help for Vanille's (FFXIII) weapon.

Post by Grem » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:14 pm

Hello all! I'm planning on cosplaying as Vanille from Final Fantasy XIII this September, and I need some help making her weapon. The top part of her weapon is what is troubling me. I don't know what I should use to make the antler looking parts. Some people suggested PVC, but I'm not sure how to do that. Also, I thought about using actual deer antlers, but I want the weapon to be as close to her weapon as possible. (Deer antlers grow every which way.) If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

buster cleveland

Re: I need some help for Vanille's (FFXIII) weapon.

Post by buster cleveland » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:19 am

I would def look at the deer antlers, even if it meant cutting and reglueing them as you like. Otherwise I'd build a wire armature/skeleton, and build up paper mache, sculpey, or some other material until you get what yo like. Luck!
bc

Feytaline

Post by Feytaline » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:05 pm

An armature is the right idea. Get the vague shape together from PVC and strong wire. It's a really weird looking thing from what I've seen (Google is not being much help on this one), and bigger than I thought, so you'll want something strong to support it inside--don't use JUST Paperclay or any other molding material. Make sure you have something with a little heft!

So! Even if this base--your armature--is really ugly, don't worry about it. Just get it to the right basic shape and size.

Paperclay can be molded around it without too much issue (especially when you sand the wire lightly to give it some grip.) Paperclay also air dries, so no fears there of trying to stick it in an oven like Sculpy, lol.

Sand away, smack a coat of my favorite polyurethane (it seals and protects it) on that beast and you're ready to sand moar, prime, and paint. :D

Nothing too scary, right? It's just getting the basic shape down and then a lot of smacking on goo.

That's what I'd do, but let's be honest, I've never made a pokey stick weapon thing quite THAT complex. Trial and error and sometimes you get magic! I wish you luck!

buster cleveland

Post by buster cleveland » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:00 am

Feytaline wrote:Trial and error and sometimes you get magic!
Truer words have not been spoken. Fortune favors the bold- you can do it!

RalphDrew

Post by RalphDrew » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:16 pm

focus and dedication that will help you.
Kindness is the nastiest revenge.
ninja stars