A Good Place to Buy Online Fabric

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Juri Arisugawa

A Good Place to Buy Online Fabric

Post by Juri Arisugawa » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:24 pm

I need a place on-line that sells their fabric relatively cheap but still has good quality. Like a wholesale distributor. I need about 15-20 yards of velvet and it needs to be about $1-$5 a yard. Please help me and post the website's url on the reply. Thanks so much!
"Remember darling, nothing's too impossible."

Tia

Post by Tia » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:56 pm

I don't know if you *can* buy wholesale fabric if you're not a licensed distributor.
It's not love that makes the world go 'round; it's fanboys and fangirls.

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:44 pm

You know, I think cosplay.com is opening a fabric store and would be qualified as a wholesale distributor. I remember how catchy the banner was because it was awesome fabrics but selling for very low prices.

The only catch? Gotta wait till it opens to see if it's what you're looking for. But I can't really remember the details on the shop since I would have never bought from them myself.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:43 pm

Gosh, what in the world requires 15-20 yards of velvet? O.O;

You might try inquiring at a furniture manufacturer to see whether they have what you need or can order something for you. I don't know what width velvet normally comes in, but maybe home decorating type is wider and would require less yardage. Or possibly look into thrift store or clearance sale velvet drapes.

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:12 pm

I really don't think you can find wholesale velvet for that price, but just keep googling/ebaying/lycosing under "Wholesale Velvet" or something. Best of luck, thats a toughie.
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:57 am

I'd probably ask a store or something that can get to mass quantities of it to help me out since I saw on tv a boy went to a chinese store and asked him to order plastic forks for him.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:25 pm

mrs.tomoe wrote:You might try inquiring at a furniture manufacturer to see whether they have what you need or can order something for you.
Probably not the best idea. While most upholstry fabric is 60", it's also a great deal heavier then clothing fabric for the most part. The stuff Jo Ann's sells is very light for upholstery fabric.
Real men sew!

Tigerye Productions: Props, weapons, and much more. I can do that!
"Ebay is the best bet as they are unfeeling there and cold. " - Hemuloki

Juri Arisugawa

Thanks a lot!

Post by Juri Arisugawa » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:09 pm

Your suggestions were really useful to me. I actually ended up finding a really great online web store-fabric.com that sells huge quantities of fabric as much as I needed. Thanks for your suggestions!

Oh, buy the way since you asked, I need that much fabric because I'm making Carmilla's red countess dress from Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. The train and the dress combined make it super big and on top of it a super long train. If I sewed with anything else but cotton velvet or velveteen, then the dress would look awful. That's why I needed so much fabric. Wish me luck, cause I'm gonna need it!

Ashley
"Remember darling, nothing's too impossible."

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:56 pm

The dress sounds nice already. =) Good luck! ^_~

And thanks for sharing that site with us. =) I'm sure it'll be very useful for those of us that do commissions. ^^

Tia

Post by Tia » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:14 am

Well, good luck working on that. I have seen a few people do her well, and she is definitely not easy. Hope she turns out well for ya. ^_^
It's not love that makes the world go 'round; it's fanboys and fangirls.

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:49 pm

phew! Glad you found a place. Thats quite an excursion.
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!