sailor collar pattern

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Andichan

sailor collar pattern

Post by Andichan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:35 am

so, usually when I make a cosplay costume, I try to find a pattern that is pretty close, then modify it. But I have had a lot of trouble finding something that resembles a sailor collar (i.e. sailor moon outfits, most school uniforms). Does anyone know of (or have that they could share with me) a pattern I could get to make one? Or how do you make one without a pattern? Please help! Thanks! :D

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:12 am

Luckily, the pattern for a sailor collar isn't too hard to adjust once you find a basic one. Someone here posted a link to one not long ago:
Burda pattern
It has a couple of styles that you can mix & match the front & back of the collars (square vs. round) with the help of some tracing paper.

And there's another one for kids that should still be around in the fabric stores:
McCalls cheerleader
Pretty sure it goes up to girls' size 16 so from there, you could easily modify it to be bigger for an adult if needed.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Andichan

Post by Andichan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:16 pm

the first link didnt work, it took me to some weird page.

the second one (for mccalls) looks perfect! I had actually seen that pattern before, but since the girl on the cover looks so young, I didn't think they would have it in any bigger than girls' sizes. since it goes up to 16, I should be able to modify it.

thanks so much! :D

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:50 am

You're welcome! ^_^
Andichan wrote:the first link didnt work, it took me to some weird page.
That's odd. Well, just for reference, try going to the Burda mainpage: http://www.burdamode.com/ and entering the pattern number into the search field at the top right: 2424. It should bring up the sailor suit pattern. If it doesn't work, I dunno what the internetz gremlins could be doing!