1st-time cosplayer in need of serious help

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Dreamcatcher_Laura

1st-time cosplayer in need of serious help

Post by Dreamcatcher_Laura » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:09 pm

ImageI have absolutely no cosplaying/sewing experience and want to have it done before next year's Comic-Con in July 2008. To me, accuracy is most important when it comes to creating this particular costume. Please help! PMs/tips are greatly appreciated. :]

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:51 pm

I know you can make the rod out of a wood dowel rod, a small chair leg, and a long reach toy. Or, I can make it for you...

I don't do costumes much, but the skirt can use a hula-hoop at the bottom to give it that wide circle brim. That is, if it's suppose to do that.

Dreamcatcher_Laura

Post by Dreamcatcher_Laura » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:28 pm

Yeah, the sealing wand is a bit of a problem. Eh...I don't need it anyway, I'll save money without it.

Hula hoop, that's genius! o.o It'll work prefectly with my budget. As for the material: vinyl or lycra? And how do I make the headband?

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Construction foam (Fortifide with glue or acrylic paint; Optinal) and hot glued to a head band. And the faberic is whatever you think looks more accurate.

Dreamcatcher_Laura

Post by Dreamcatcher_Laura » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:32 pm

All right, thanks.

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:31 am

First off, you're pretty ambitious to try that as your first costume if you don't have any sewing skills. I hope you're planning to make some other easier ones between now & next spring before you really tackle this one.

That said, it'd be a good idea to make a "rough draft" of the outfit with regular, cheap fabric before trying to make the final one with vinyl or whatever good fabric you decide to use. You'll be able to work out all the kinks that way without wasting your good fabric.

Petticoat hoop steel or heavy duty plastic boning would be a better choice to shape the hem of the dress than a hula hoop. They are sturdy yet flexible & lightweight to allow you to get through doorways and sit without a big problem.

Good luck!

Dreamcatcher_Laura

Post by Dreamcatcher_Laura » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:03 pm

Yeah, I noticed. Hula hoops make the skirt really limp. ._.
But I'm not actually making it. I'm hiring someone else to do it for me (please, I really don't want any more requests for commissions unless you're a sewing genius that charges less than $200; I already picked someone).

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:02 am

Ah, ok. Whew, glad you found someone to make it for you.

Yeah, the hula hoops, while they have a nice shape, are kinda heavy for a dress and drag it down as you've discovered.

Well then, we'll look forward to seeing photos of your cosplay when the time comes! CCS is one of my favorites so Sakura cosplay = happy. :)

Dreamcatcher_Laura

Post by Dreamcatcher_Laura » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Oh I will. But you'll be surprised about the real secret behind this particular cosplay, so don't tell me I didn't warn you of something unexpected.