Sailor Scout outfits..>.<

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
xXDark_LunaXx

Sailor Scout outfits..>.<

Post by xXDark_LunaXx » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:25 am

Okaiz..I'm trying to make a Sailor Mercury, Sailor Jupiter, and Sailor Luna outfit from the PGSM (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) series...the problem is..I haven't really touched a sowing machine.. :oops: I'm a quick learner and I can sow plushiez and anything else under the sun.

Here's Sailor Jupiter..

Sailor Mercury...

And Sailor Luna..

...where do I start? I know I get the leotard and stuff...but as far as making the skirts..thats my biggest concern...everything else I can do but the skirt..how do I do it on a sowing machine?...o.O

Fénicia

Post by Fénicia » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:01 am

The skirts just starts out as very big donuts. :wink:

Katasha

Post by Katasha » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:37 am

Heres a pattern for a senshi outfit that I think is a good place to start out.

http://www.faerie-fingers.com/index.php ... =f&patid=1

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:15 am

Fénicia wrote:The skirts just starts out as very big donuts. :wink:
Yes, 'big donuts.' That's a good description. The Luna one looks pleated at the waist so that would be the challenge: to measure correctly.

The other 2 pics didn't like being direct linked.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:44 pm

try saving the pictures you found and putting them on Photobucket or something.

xXDark_LunaXx

Post by xXDark_LunaXx » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:46 am

..okaiz...therez been a change of characterz...it seemz that I will be cosplaying Sailor Moon instead of Sailor Luna..>.<*
Very...big...donuts? o.O So..I just take the material and..make a small round shape? o.O
And as far as the pattern idea..that'll work when I need it the most..>.<

Katasha

Post by Katasha » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:01 am

really you dont even have to make it round at all. If you just take one really long piece of fabric, or 2 if you want the skirt really full and just gather the top before attaching it to your waist, it makes a perfect circle.

xXDark_LunaXx

Post by xXDark_LunaXx » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:06 pm

Wow..thank you for your advice! (*bows*) ^.^ Umm..just one more thing...as far as making the bows...how would I be able to make those? I kno how to attach the bow to the outfit...I think..>.<* That's another area where I need help..^.^* (sweatdrop)

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:53 am

Ooh, ok; the scout skirts are different from Luna's. Donuts won't work for them.

Yes, like Katasha said, long pieces of fabric will be good for those. If you want to get really picky about it, you can see from the Mercury & Neptune pictures that the skirt hem is even/straight across, but the waistline isn't; and it's also pleated a little strangely with a combination of regular/knife pleats on the sides and then box pleats in front. (explanation of pleat types here: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/pleats/) So, if you feel up to it, you can mess around with adjusting for those elements by using newspaper to make patterns. If that seems like more trouble than you want to handle, simply gathering the waist will work fine. Here's a pattern you could try: http://www.butterick.com/item/GPF813.ht ... per&page=1
Joann Fabric sells Green Pepper patterns too.

I've seen a good bow tutorial with pictures and am getting permission from the artist to post the link here. ^_^

xXDark_LunaXx

Post by xXDark_LunaXx » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:56 am

Oh wow! Thank you SO very much! xD What is newspaper pattern? o.O
:oops: With the bows...I'm not sure whether I just tie them like a normal bow..or do I do somthing else...I would appreciate it very much for the link. ^.^ Itz one of my friendz first time cosplaying and we're supposed to be going on stage and performing songz from the PGSM series.

xXDark_LunaXx

Post by xXDark_LunaXx » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:21 pm

I know I already posted but..for Sailor Moons hair...would I need extensions? Or should I just buy a REALLY long wig?

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:08 am

Newspaper patterns are what you make when you don't have a preprinted one that you buy from the store. Instead of using up a lot of fabric on trial and error, you use newspaper or paper grocery bags because they're cheap and easily written on.

So basically, to get started on the skirt, open a newspaper and tape together two 2-page sections side by side. You end up with 4 pages in a row. Now decide how you want to space your pleats: every inch, every 1.5 inches, 2 inches? Fold a few pleats on your newspaper to see how it looks. Too close together? -unfold and try again. Too wide? --try again. When you get the spacing you want, measure & use your ruler to mark your newspaper so you can pleat the whole piece. Pin each fold near the top edge so you can pick up the paper when you're done. Once it's all folded, place the paper against your hip to see whether it's big enough for one half of your skirt. If it's too small, tape on another page(s). Too big, mark where the halfway point is to cut later.

You'll probably want a friend handy to help you with adjustments. With the paper on your hip, move the top edge up or down until it looks like V shape of the Scout skirts, and then you can mark where to cut for the hem. Remember to leave an extra 1.25 inch at the hem so you can fold it up to hide the raw edge of the fabric without making your skirt too short. Leave an extra 1/2 to 5/8 inch at the waist for adding the waist band.

That's the basic idea behind newspaper patterns. You mess around measuring, adjusting, and cutting until you get the look you want, then you use that paper as the guide for cutting your fabric.

For the Sailor Moon hair, it's up to you whether you want to use your own hair and add extensions or use a wig. If you have long hair, maybe you won't need extensions. If you choose a wig, try getting one like the 6th from the bottom on this page: http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/specials ... tion=WIGS4
The picture shows a pink one, but you'd ask for a blonde one which would work well for Sailor Moon. The key is that the hair is already parted for ponytails so you wouldn't have to do that step. Style the buns and curl the ends, and you'd be all set.

xXDark_LunaXx

Post by xXDark_LunaXx » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:26 pm

..OH! So, itz just a way of testing how I want the skirt..I get it now...xD So, once I find the way I want the skirt, I just simply make the real one?..hmm..is attaching the skirt hard?...and the hair...I wuz gonna use a wig bcuz I don't think I will want blonde hair..>.< I'm not sure with is harder...hair or costume..xD
C'est La Vie!!