Cosplayer Rebel Cosplay > Costume of Mami Tomoe from Madoka Magica
- Most Recent Photo
- Madoka Magica
- Mami Tomoe
- Special Variation:
- Magical Girl
- Year Completed:
- Construction Difficulty:
- Very Difficult
- Best Masters, Animarathon 2013, Runner-Up Journeyman, Colossalcon 2013, Best Friday Hall and Best Journeyman Hall, Youmacon 2013
- Costume worn at:
- Animarathon 2013
- ColossalCon (Cleveland) 2013
- Youmacon 2013
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
Oh my, this costume. I had ambitions of debuting it in November 2012--obviously I bit off more than I could chew to get it done by then!
- The wig is a pre-parted wig from eBay. I lowered and recurled the ponytails and cut and styled the bangs.
- My hat was made from scratch with interfaced microsuede.
- The fluff was made from a piece of craft foam layered with feathers. The hairpin is also craft foam, sealed with modpodge to strengthen the foam, and then painted.
- I commissioned my resin gem from Karmada Cosplay. The base of the soul gem is made using the plastic shell from galvanized steel cable, hot glue, and craft foam.
- Modified Simplicity pattern.
- Gold binding along the collar is cut from the same fabric as my skirt. Brown shoulder bits are the same fabric as my corset.
- The sleeve tabs close with functional snaps. My arm warmers are a simple rectangle pattern. The tops have an elastic band in them to help keep them on my arms, and the cuffs were also hand-bound.
- Closes with a hidden zipper. Tabs and bow hand sewn and secured with snaps.
- Hand-made. 4 inch waist reduction. Hidden lacing panel.
- The inner layer is a gold floral cotton to match with Mami's motif. The middle layer is a double layer of canvas. The outer layer is microsuede.
- There is a total of 32 steel bones in the corset. Combination of spiral and flat steels used.
- Buckles are painted grosgrain ribbon, hand sewn.
- The entire binding was hand-sewn, which took about 20 hours.
- Circle skirt with a high waistband so that I can tuck the blouse into it.
- Hidden zipper in the back.
- Hemmed with horsehair braid and bias tape made from the same fabric as the corset.
- completely removable (from the base boots in the first few pictures)
- brown section is twill, gold is the same microsuede as my skirt.
- hand sewn with gold-painted vinyl for the finger cuff things
- Insulation foam body. PVC barrel, wooden dowel ramrod.
- Detailing was done with foamboard (scrollwork panels), paperclay (percussion lock mounts, bullet-loady-thing that I can't remember the name of), craft foam (stock cover), and hot glue (crosses and scrollwork)
- Counterbalanced with BBs in the stock.
- Gems for the locks were my first resin castings. Mounted on polymer clay.
- Entire gun primed with two layers of Gesso, followed by two of white acrylic. All silver accents were base coated with black to make the silver more vibrant.
- They're super light--each one weighs less than half a pound, making them very easy to pose with.
- Socks purchased at SockDreams.
- Circle lenses are i.Fairy Moe Moe Brown from LensVillage.
Add a Comment