Cosplayer Elly~Star > Costume of Fuu Hououji from Magic Knights Rayearth
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
Materials - This is made almost entirely out of grass and celadon fabrics from Joann's Casa collection (both colors now discontinued, so I had to cut carefully!), using crepe, chiffon, and glitter dot.
Base dress - The base dress is made from Simplicity pattern, which I modified. I added an elastic to the waist to bring it in, rolled hem the bottom edge, and finished the neckline and armholes with facings. (Note: this dress will also be used for another costume next month, where I just need to add a new collar - yeah multitasking costumes!)
Capes - This was my biggest limitation with the limited chiffons I could find. Each color has two half circle capes, and each one is rolled hemmed. They are attached to a hood also made from the chiffon.
Waist piece - I used a basic bodice piece out of a plain cotton and interfacing to be the base of the waist piece. I then cut out a large rectangle of the green crepe satin, about twice the length of the bodice. I gathered up the sides, but it was still drooping in the middle. So I used spray adhesive, gathered up the piece as I like it, then adhered it to the base. I added an inch strip to each side of the back so I could add eyelets, allowing me to lace this up the back.
Poofy skirts - There are four total circle skirts in this skirt, two in each layer, where the layers are about two inches apart in length. I sewed them together and created a casing so I could make an elastic waistband. I then rolled hemmed the edges.
Long layers - This was a large circle skirt, which was gathered slightly because it doesn't go all the way around. The edges were rolled hemmed, and the top was finished with bias tape. This attaches to the waist piece with velcro.
Leg warmers and arm warmers - These are long tubes of fabric that I scrunch up on my wrists and ankles.
Armband - I took a strip of the green fabric and added gold bias tape (which I made from gold crepe back satin) to each edge. I then headed up a strip of Worbla, and added it to the back of the fabric. While warm, I placed inside a large PVC piece to get the round shape. This stays on my arm with the help of fashion tape.
Headband - This was made with metal headband, craft foam, and a resin gem made by Sweet-Pea.
Armor - This was made with a combination of craft foam and Worbla. The base is craft foam, and the raised parts are Worbla. I heated the Worbla and adhered it to the craft foam. I then spray painted the entire thing gold, then went over only the raised part with gold Rub n Buff. The resin gem was also made by Sweet-Pea.
Boot covers - I made boot covers out of the same celadon as the base dress and long layers, and they are lined. I also added stiff interfacing to help them stand up. I appliqued the designs to the top and added bias tape, with the same gold fabric as the armband. I glued the finished boot covers to a cheap pair of base shoes, however they ended up not fitting. So I drafted and added a cover to the toe part from the same gold, which also helped to balance the design of the shoes (it helps that you can't see the toe in the reference art!). Again, the gems were casted by Sweet-Pea.
Add a Comment