Cosplayer Fancy_Duckie > Costume of Mami Tomoe from Madoka Magica
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
PLEASE KILL ME THIS SHIRT IS THE WORST THING EVER, AND THIS IS WHY THIS EASY COSPLAY WAS SUPER HARD.
I used cotton sateen for the shirt and a pattern that went by "cup size" for the bust since Mami's is huge. Even with the bombshell bra from Victoria's Secret and another pushup layered on top of that, I still wasn't filling it, so this required like a ton of re-tooling. If I was an actual magical girl, this shirt would have provided me with enough despair to turn me into a witch about 10x over.
I sewed some bias tape to the edges of the front part of the shirt, sewed it almost all the way closed, and sewed some hooks and eyes at the top so I can get it on over my head. The little tabs that go across are made out of some more bias tape, the bottom two are sewn directly on, the top one is sewn on one side and attaches via velcro on the other. I freehanded the collar and sewed some bias tape on the top. For the ribbon, I used miccosplay's tutorial, which was super helpful. I freehanded the sleeves and added some extra room so I could pleat them for the poofy parts. I sewed bias tape to the edge that attaches to the bodice. For the cuffs, I got these really cute pearly buttons that I absolutely adore.
I forget what kind of fabric I used for the stomacher but I think it was some kind of suiting. I freehanded the pattern based on my measurements, and sewed bias tape on all of the seams, inside and out. I made them into boning channels and hand sewed them shut. There's an invisible zipper in the back, but I'm debating making it lace up even though it's inaccurate since my measurements fluctuate a bit throughout the year. I found this lace ribbon with pearls that I used for the white parts at the top and bottom and for the buttbow. I used the same method for this as I did for her neck ribbon, and just made everything longer. The buttbow attaches with a snap in the back. I found some fashion belt buckles in the notions section of Jo-Ann's, and cut out pieces of one of my Dad's old belts to do the ones on the front. These pieces are hotglued down since I don't think my machine would handle it very well.
The skirt is a circle skirt that I hand pleated and made out of casa satin and trimmed with bias tape, and it has an elastic waistband. The thigh highs are from sockdreams. The armwarmers I free-handed, the top part is basically a rectangle that flares out into kind of a triangle. I pleated it at the bottom part to get the poof. For the gloves, I used some black opera gloves from claire's that I had from forever ago and just cut off parts of the fingers. I free-handed the hat, it's the same fabric as the stomacher. I hot glued it to pieces of a cereal box to give it some stability. For the soul gem component, I cut out a flower out of craft foam spray painted gold, and made the bigger flower part out of more craft foam, and hot glued this all to the hat and to the feathers. The soul gem I made out of resin and mixed some acrylic paint to get the right color to paint the back with.
I ordered a pair of brown cowgirl boots from amiclubwear.com, sectioned it off in pieces with frog tape and spray painted it to get the right colors. The white parts except for the heels are bias tape hotglued on there.
- Personal Thoughts:
- Whoever designed the pattern for this shirt deserves a special place in hell. Meguca is suffering!
- Styling Notes
- Wrapped it around a gatorade bottle, sprayed the bejeezus out of it, squished the curls and blow dried them. It worked for a little while, but one drill came out better than the other since the fibers are so thick.
Add a Comment