Login New Account
Cosplayer benihime > Costume of Hana from Gate 7

Most Recent Photo
07-25-2013
Series
Gate 7
Character
Hana
Year Completed:
2013
Construction Difficulty:
Difficult
Awards
3rd Place in Masters
Costume worn at:
Anime Matsuri 2013
Videos
Featured in 1 Videos
Permanent Link:

About this Costume
Construction Details:
CLAMP does a really good job of making artbook images as confusing as possible.

I decided to make 2 and a half kimonos, due to literally studying this reference image for almost two weeks.

The innermost or "red" kimono didn't have kimono sleeves and I created a curved shape at the bottom (to let my legs show). I then took each layer up 1 inch to create a nice effect. I painted all the triangles on making a stencil using freezer paper and used jacquard textile paint.

The innermost kimono I dyed light pink to make the white kimono stand out more. This kimono was made out of casa crepe satin from joannes (I LOVE THIS FABRIC). To get the "gradient" I watered down jacquard dye-na-flow paint and "painted" each color on. I would add more water to make the color lighter.
This technique isn't perfect and I had lots of swearing fits because of it, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

The short kimono was made out of casa crepe as well. I added an appliqued moon to the back because well..you couldn't see the back and I wanted something interested because the back was pretty dull.

The headdress and the armor was the most challenging part for me. I spent 6 months on and off working on them because I've never worked with Styrene before. I made templates of each armor piece using craft foam and then cut out each piece using a hot knife. I shaped each layer with a heat gun over a metal bowl. I was constantly sanding this thing...

The headdress is based off a circle of craft foam that was sewn into the wig. I made the base of styrene off that and added all the details onto the base.

The leaves and flowers were made using a crepe paper that has stretch to it.

The obi was made using suiting fabric (black) and polyester poplin (gold). The obi was reinforced using craft foam.

I dyed all of the paracord used in this outfit. I added some dye-na-flow to the parts where there was a gradient.

All the bells are were bought in bulk on ebay.
Personal Thoughts:
this cosplay....oh my...My first time working with real armor materials...nearly killed me.
Wig Details
Wig Brand
Cosworx / Cosplay.com
Wig Name
Clover
Original Color:
Black
Wig Quality Rating
5 / 5.00
Styling Notes
I cut the back of the wig in a angular shape and then used a small straightener to make the wig 'flip' out
Add a Comment
Photos
  • Photo 1
     Photo 1
    Comments 0 Views 32
  • Photo 2
     Photo 2
    Comments 0 Views 26
  • Photo 3
     Photo 3
    Comments 0 Views 20
  • Photo 4
     Photo 4
    Comments 0 Views 18
  • Photo 5
     Photo 5
    Comments 0 Views 20
  • Photo 6
     Photo 6
    Comments 0 Views 24
  • Photo 7
     Photo 7
    Comments 0 Views 20
  • Photo 8
     Photo 8
    Comments 0 Views 14
  • Photo 9
     Photo 9
    Comments 0 Views 22
  • Photo 10
     Photo 10
    Comments 0 Views 13
Comments

Sorry, you must be a registered user of and logged in to view and add comments. Either log in or register now!