Cosplayer Kiya > Costume of Umi Ryuuzaki from Magic Knights Rayearth
- Most Recent Photo
- Magic Knights Rayearth
- Umi Ryuuzaki
- Special Variation:
- Final Armor
- Year Completed:
- Construction Difficulty:
- Oni-con: 2nd place
- Costume worn at:
- A-Kon 2011
This Costume has been retired
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
The boots are super fitted boot covers which zip up in the back. The zipper was a bit too short so instead of sacrificing the length of the boots, I added a few grommets in the back so that they lace closed.
The cincher also laces closed in the back. It's made using the vinyl over foam method with multiple layers of foam to give it shape. I wish I could say i came up with the idea and look by myself, but I can't. I loved the look of another Umi cosplayer's cincher, so I tried to mimic it.
The gloves (and that of my group members) were all sewn by me and made out of the same white vinyl as my boots and cincher.
The dress is made from a highly modified princess cut pattern, fully lined and trimmed in gold vinyl. The gold details and front panels were glued on, because I disliked the way stitching looked on the vinyl. The leotard is made with a lycra blend and the pattern was completely drafted by me using flat measurements.
The armor was made using foam and paper mache, then sanded and painted. I used two different spray paints to give it some depth and color variation then sealed it with a poly-acrylic finish.
The hand armor was drafted by tsuki, then painted and weathered by me. It's also made from foam and sealed with a poly-acrylic finish. It's made from three laters of foam. The blue gem sits under the 1st layer of foam and then there is wire in between the next two layers to form around my hand.
The giant gem in the center of my armor and on my headband were casted with custom molds and encased in a vinyl and foam "setting." The headband is made from a regular white headband in which I stretched blue fabric over and trimmed in gold vinyl. The horns are made with paper clay and painted foam, then glued directly to the headband. It was a bit heavy, but was secured with a few bobby pins that slid under the gem into my wig.
The sword! I was afraid of the stability of the detailing on the sword so I made it to break apart for transportation. The blade is made from wood and was sanded down so that it would fit into a pvc pipe. I built up the hilt, wings, and all other details in paper clay. Since the wings were so thick they kept cracking while they were drying so I added some heavy gauge wire as a support. I custom casted a gem to fit on the sword and used a wooden ball as the top of the pommel. Primed, painted, then sealed the sword and I was good to go!
- Styling Notes
- Bangs were cut in the wig
- Wig Review
- Color was beautiful but Wig tangled very easily
Add a Comment