Cosplayer Crystalike > Costume of Asuna from Sword Art Online
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
...Where do I start? I had to make 3 high intensity level costumes one after another, Menace, Non-non, and Asuna, and somehow Asuna ended up being the last one. I had about a week and a half left to make it, and nearly gave up due to being totally exhausted each night.
I first started with the skirt, which I bought material for from Joanns with the help of Vanessa B. She helped me pick out a midweight fabric that she had used before for a pleated skirt. I made a paper pattern with measurements to tuck the fabric into to keep the pleats consistent, and I ended up making the skirt too big and too long, so I pinned in the back. The white ribbon was fabric glued on with Unique Stitch.
The belt was then made next, I used a heavy weight red canvas that matched the 20 yards of red bias tape I ordered off of eBay, and sewed on some double sided white bias tape.
Then I did the white puff sleeves. I originally did a funky pattern that I thought would work, but it didn't so I ended up just doing a gathered sleeve (rectangle with pulled seams on the top and made the cuffs out of red canvas as well. At first I thought the red matches the dark color of the skirt, but I was totally wrong *sob so I redid the tops and bottoms like three times. The sleeves stay on with double sided tape. The gold trim is glued on, along with the weird Venus symbol. It's tough to do the venus symbol since in some references it's single strips, but then in others it's double.
The arm cuffs were a really simple pattern, with red bias tape sewed on, gold bias tape glued onto the edges of the bias tape, and red thin ribbon glued on as well. I sewed two types of white lace together to get this gorgeous scallop trim I used for the insides of the cuff sleeve things, the top collar, and the inside of the stockings.
The stockings were leggings made of white spandex with bias tape sewn onto the top with more gold ribbon glued on, and red ribbon glued on as well. The leggings are HARD, and they don't look great nor do they stay up right so I need to remake them out of a sturdier fabric. I'm sad the red crosses I painted on looked frumpy.
The wig is my Horo wig I bought sandy brown wefts from Arda for and sewed them in and braided it.
The collar was a work of genius patterning based off of my Homura collar shirt. took me a day to finish it with all the bias tape, red ribbon glued on, and red crosses painted on.
Yes, all the red crosses, all 15 of them were hand painted with a mix of red acrylic and fabric paint converter. 1 on the chest piece, 2 on the collar on the back, 4 on the shirt, two on each sleeve armor, two on the edges of the sleeves, 2 on the tights, and 2 on the shoe armor. That's a lot of crosses. I painted them one at a time as I finished each piece, thank god or else I would have gone mad doing them all at once haha.
The white shirt is a last minute work of patterning, and it took me a while to make a good muslin mockup. The red bias tape is topstitched due to time constraints, and once again thin red ribbon is glued on around the edge.
All armor is Worbla bought from cosplaysupplies.com. I used a combo of worbla, craft foam, worbla on some pieces.
*will finish description later.
- Personal Thoughts:
- When I saw the game design for Asuna I knew I had to make it. It looks so much sleeker and cuter than the anime/light novel version and I love the sleeves so much.
Armor is all worbla and craft foam. I had to order 20 yards of red bias tape, ended up using about 13 I think.
Add a Comment