Login New Account
Cosplayer Toneriko > Costume of Rias Gremory from Highschool DXD

Most Recent Photo
04-01-2013
Series
Highschool DXD
Character
Rias Gremory
Special Variation:
School Uniform
Year Completed:
N/A
Construction Difficulty:
Awards
Best Individual Anime Sushi Costume Contest Megacon 2013
Permanent Link:

About this Costume
Construction Details:
This costume was quite technical despite that its just a school uniform!

I started out with the capelet, which is made from black stretch sateen. I had the idea that I wanted it to have a bit of flow like a circle-skirt pattern shape, but that ended up being a bit too much. I cut down the front and added seams up the sides up to the shoulders. The edging is double-fold extra large white bias tape that was sewn down using some helpful tips from this website: http://prudentbaby.com/2010/11/hot-mess/tips/how-to-sew-with-bias-tape-2/ .
I then added small black grommets to the top corners and threaded some dark green cording through it. The cording doesn't burn on the ends so I mushed fabric glue all into the ends to keep them from fraying.

The next part I made was the skirt. It is a box-pleat style made with burgundy Kona cotton. Thanks to my friend Lauren, who pointed out that it is double-layered with a white quilter's cotton onto which the triangle-lace was hand-stitched. I had to measure out the length of the burgundy skirt and the under layer so that only 50% of the actual triangle lace would show from underneath.

The over-skirt was draped on my dress form and modified several times before I actually cut out my good fabric. It is made of the same fabric as the capelet with a quilter's cotton as a lining. The entire thing was then trimmed with white bias tape using some of the same techniques as the capelet, plus a few more. Fake pocket flaps were added and then custom covered buttons were sewn over snaps for the closure. The hardest part of the over skirt was the back-detail. It took me a few tries to figure it out and get it right, but I am pleased with the outcome.

The blouse was made entirely by me. It is made of stretch poplin using a heavily modified blouse pattern. I cut out and assembled the front pieces, back pieces and sleeves, and then marked out and stitched the black lines over the entire thing. The black details on the collar is single fold bias tape. I added black single-fold bias tape with a thin facing down the front to create the line detail. There are 11 hook-and-eyes carefully hand sewn onto the inside of the shirt as the closure. The cuffs were sewn to enclose the end of the sleeves and then turned. I added one custom covered button to each side.


The wig is a Clover and Ivy Long in dark red from the cosplay.com wig shop. I am slightly disappointed by the color. In most photos it appears more cherry-red and less dark-red, but its definitely dark red in person.
I harvested and added most of the wefts from the Ivy to the Clover to get the appropriate length and then cut in bangs, added an ahoge and flipped out the sides. I am not extremely happy with the way the wig turned out, and if given the chance to try again I most certainly would...as a matter of fact, I just might in the future.

The shoes are from ebay. They are also darker than I was hoping (maybe I need to check my monitor for colors haha!).

The socks are just some socks I had laying around. I took left-over triangle lace trim and sewed it around my ankles and then attached it to the socks (since the lace is not stretchy, poo!)

If you have any questions about any parts of the costume I didn't cover, please let me know and I will be happy to explain my process!!
Wig Details
Wig Brand
Cosworx / Cosplay.com
Wig Name
Ivy Long
Wig Quality Rating
3 / 5.00
Add a Comment
Photos
  • Photo 1
     Photo 1
    Comments 0
Comments

Sorry, you must be a registered user of and logged in to view and add comments. Either log in or register now!