Cosplayer Dany > Costume of Mina Harker (Murray) from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
- Most Recent Photo
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
- Mina Harker (Murray)
- Special Variation:
- LXG Movie
- Year Completed:
- Construction Difficulty:
- Company Award-San Diego ComicCon: Best Costume Inspired by Horror or Other Dark Genres, presented by Lynn Perry
- Costume worn at:
- Comic-Con / San Diego Comic Con International 2004
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
- Cobbled a Matrix coat pattern. Nowadays, Truly Victorian has a coat that could do the job, but I think it's intended for a bustle which Mina doesn't have in the movie. I need to check into it because a newer version of the coat wouldn't hurt, but at this time the exact fabric I want (a cotton corduroy with a very wide striping, to mimic the silk corduroy that was used for the movie costume) has been elusive.
The hat was purchased and steam-adjusted to give it a little more of the shape that Mina has. It is a -tiny- bit bigger than the original, but it seems to work OK enough, and I've yet to be motivated enough to try to make another (namely because I think this may need a pretty high millinery skill :) ). The purse is made of the same material as the coat, and came after watching one particular scene where you can see her purse. It's not a great shot, and I can't say that this one is at all accurate, but what I got out of the screenshot at least vaguely matches my built result.
- Personal Thoughts:
- In terms of reproducing character costumes, this was project # 2. Sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't. :)
This was also my second contest entry ever. After CostumeCon 22, I got the wild idea to try SDCC. Never mind that I was actually warned against it ("The audience is terrible, they'll heckle you, blablabla"), I put my foot down and said I was gonna do it anyway. It eventually became one of my best convention experiences.
I love Mina. I've worn her many times for unrelated things since I made her, and I am so happy with most of how she turned out for a costume that came when I was still very inexperienced as a sewer. I think the only disaster was my shirt, and even that wasn't -horrible-, just something that I failed on due to lack of experience at the time.