Sparkle Pipsi made this awesome yet simple image edit AND IF IT'S ANYTHING INVOLVING IMAGE COLORS, IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG. This costume has proved to be a lot more work than I expected, so I had to hold off on other in progress costumes to make sure it got done on time (on top of having to practice new songs). ^^; (10 Photos Available)" />
Maryssa and Sparkle Pipsi figured out all the patterning, troubleshooting, and supplies needed so the group could make these costumes a reality! @.@ A large chunk of the fabric was purchased from LA's Fashion District, the plastic stars were found online, and anything else needed is from JoAnn. I started by modifying the bodice pattern, which proved to be quite difficult. The seams over the bust just looked wonky, so that had to be adjusted, and I had to take the pattern in a few inches around the top so it actually fit me properly. Once I sewed all the pieces together, I had to take in the bust area AGAIN, apparently I just don't have enough boobage to fill the pattern haha. It was also my first time ever working with boning, I was terrified of working with the stuff, but now I think it's neat and I can't wait to work it into a future outfit! I redid my sash as I made it wrong the first time, and decided to sew the back part into the bodice, with the tail part attaching to the front with velcro. The boot covers are full on boot covers which turned out awesome and now I wanna do this for all future costumes, haha. ^^; I even adjusted my KIKI's so they fit me better, with some super helpful tips provided by Hanyaan! The accessories were the easiest part to work on, there was no way I could use the plastic stars as my hair accessories so I scaled it down and used craft foam instead.
I wasn't too thrilled when the other girls expressed interest in doing this costume set, as I prefer the individualized costume sets. BUT THEN!! Sparkle Pipsi made this awesome yet simple image edit AND IF IT'S ANYTHING INVOLVING IMAGE COLORS, IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG. This costume has proved to be a lot more work than I expected, so I had to hold off on other in progress costumes to make sure it got done on time (on top of having to practice new songs). ^^;
The base wig used is "Lulu" which is also from Arda Wigs. I started off by trimming the front bangs, sectioning off the long side bangs, while the back is heavily thinned out. I started from the bottom going up, and layered it as much as possible using thinning shears.
I wanted the ponytails to look more ringlet-like as opposed to giant pouf balls, so I carefully took apart each curl and sectioned them off into 15-20 individual curls (rough estimate, they're a bit hard to count lol). I tried using AquaNet to set the curls but it wasn't holding, so I used got2b Spiking Glue diluted in a small bowl of water, and carefully smoothed it on, concentrating on the ends.
I had a lot of fun styling the ponytail clips, they've also held up nicely with me running around and performing at a con. lol I've worn this to 3 cons so far, and the only major issues I've had with the clips are safely transporting the wig clips to make sure they don't get crushed AND making sure the damn things stay on my head. ^^; I learned after Anime Conji that wig clips must be sewn into the front of the wig, especially for 25 minute set lists!