Cosplayer Toneriko > Costume of Horo from Spice and Wolf
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
This costume was quite a dream come true. I had always wanted to cosplay a cat/fox/wolf girl and after watching Spice and Wolf and seeing this costume I knew I had to cosplay Holo.
A lot of time (read: a whole boatload of time) went into researching how to construct this costume. I had never worked with good faux fur before so I wanted to be extra sure what I was getting myself into.
After looking around at other Holo cosplayers I decided I definitely wanted to use some very long fur for her tail. I was able to figure out which fur I wanted thanks to PhasersonFun on Cosplay.com. She helped me figure out which fur to use and which wig to use to match the fur color.
Unfortunately the fur I wanted was no longer for sale at the website from which she had purchased it so I had to scour the internet until I found :devclockworkcreature:'s artfire page where they were selling the rust color fur. I ended up purchasing my white fur from a local fabric store. The quality of the white is no where near as good as the rust, but it does serve its purpose.
The fur was very easy to work with. I made patterns out of newspaper for the tail and ears and traced them onto the back of the fur and then cut them out using a box-cutter (VERY IMPORTANT). The tail and ears are all hand sewn. The ears have wire in them to help keep their shape. They are sewn/safety-pinned into the wig.
I went through a few attempts at trying to find the PERFECT wig to match the fur, but I ended up purchasing from ebay store CosplayWig. The color is Tea Brown and matches the fur about as good as it gets. The only styling I had to do for the wig was trim up the bangs.
The dress was the easiest part for me. I made the base dress out of a stretch knit I bought from Joanns. I opted for princess seams because I find they are very flattering. The details on the dress took me a while to figure out how I was going to attempt them. I tried painting them on at first but I was very displeased with the result. I ended up hand-cutting all of the individual oval-shape pieces and sewed them on with my machine. The dots, however, are painted on with the top of a q-tip.
Her pouch was put together after some trial-and-error (the first one was too big) with some various quilter's cottons. The beads are simple pony-beads I found at Hobby Lobby.
Since I had such a hard time finding ANYTHING to work for her anklets, I ended up using a head-band in a decent color wrapped twice around my ankle. I would like to try to find something better to use in the future.
Again, if you have any specific questions PLEASE message me! I will be glad to answer to my best ability!! Thanks!
Add a Comment