Cosplayer Elly~Star > Costume of Princess Kakyuu / Fireball from Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
I used a variety of different fabrics for this costume. The bodice is made from a coral sparkle fabric where I used the wrong side, and it's lined with a pink broadcloth and has interfacing to give it structure. I used a basic bodice pattern for the shape. It fastens with a separating zipper on the side. I added the white panel down the front and stitched thin black twill tape on both sides. I drafted the pointed part on the top, adding the blue with applique and a satin stitch and added more black twill tape to the edge. I added the black band to the bottom, with a mitered corner in the front. I added a thin black band to finish the top, then a thicker black band to go all the way around my shoulders.
The skirt is made from red casa organza, which I cut into 12 long strips, then zigzag stitched the edges of each one. I tacked each on on the the back of the bottom the bodice. The skirt goes over a pair of red bloomers made from red casa satin.
The sleeves were made starting with two long rectangles of red satin that I stitched and gathered to make the top poofs. The bells are made from yellow organza and black casa satin.
The shoes are from my Black Mage Yuna costume. The base of the hat is made from wonderflex and very thick interfacing. I cut the base pieces out and used spray adhesive to adhere it to the fabric and glued everything together. I added thin gold cording and painted the buttons on the front. All the blossoms are cut from orange craft foam and given a couple coats of modge podge. The hairpiece is a thin dowel, spray painted black, and thin gold chains connecting the blossoms. I glued a hair comb so I could add it to my hair.
- Personal Thoughts:
- I always loved Princess Kakyuu's design and she had been on my to-cosplay list for a very long time. When looking for something to do for Otakon, this popped out to me as I thought my skills were good enough to make it. I had some difficulty with the bodice and hat and thought I wouldn't be able to finish it in time, but I was able to crack down and get everything done a couple days before Otakon.
- Styling Notes
- I used the red wig I had for Cecilia as a base. I then bought additional wefts to create the loops. I made two wire loops and covered them with red felt, and then the wefts and attacked them with hairspray. I set them at the top with hot glue and glued on a metal hair clip. Each loop is attached to my base wig after pinning up the length under my hat. I couldn't find my hair spray when getting ready at the con, so my hair loops began to fall out by the time I went to change. Moar hairspray next time.
Add a Comment