Login New Account
Cosplayer Yaya (AngelicStar) > Costume of Litchi Faye-Ling from BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Most Recent Photo
08-02-2012
Series
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
Character
Litchi Faye-Ling
Year Completed:
2012
Construction Difficulty:
Normal
Costume worn at:
Anime Matsuri 2012
Permanent Link:

About this Costume
Construction Details:
In order to translate the design of this 2-D video game character into a real life costume, I knew that I needed a lot of silk. I found this gorgeous deep red silk in the LA Fabric district for the jacket and skirt/tail and paired it with a golden yellow silk brocade for the trim. I made my own bias tape with the gold brocade and used a red Asian brocade for the lining of the jacket/skirt. For those new to making bias tape, it's really simple and can add an interesting detail to your costume if you use fun fabrics. Just by doing a quick google search you can find tons of tutorials on this technique, with photos or video.

As usual, I created my own patterns for the garment by drafting them on paper, measuring and chalk drawing on fabric, draping on my mannequin, and altering base patterns heavily., I serged/sewed everything on this costume, making sure it is tailored to me and fit properly. All the garment pieces are lined and finished with a hand made binding.
I altered the jacket design a tad because on the character design it's loose and cut very low. Since I was already going to show a bra, I didn't want the closure to be way low on my torso, so the jacket swoops in underneath the bra and closes via hook/eyes. That's also why I have an extra set of buttons in the front, it would have looked weird just with one row.

After making the jacket and skirt, I tackled the boot covers, which are built over a pair of wedge boots that I completely butchered. I made a pattern by tracing around the boots and created the boot covers with matching silk fabrics. I even lined the boot covers because loose seams drive me nuts.

I chose a decorated bra from VS instead of a plain one because my costume has some texture to it and is made with pretty luxurious fabrics. I thought it would fit the overall look better.

I also styled the wig, with consisted of a lot of razoring and shearing of the bangs into the asymmetrical style, and butchering two long hair falls to make the floor-sweeping ponytail.
I made the ying yang hair piece with a variety of lightweight materials that were laying around my house and hand painted it carefully.
The panda was so much fun to make, and super easy. I even had all the fleece and stuffings laying around already. The leaves are made from left over taffeta from my Peacock costume, and I embroidered them.

The glasses were very carefully taken apart, and, after dremeling off the top bridges, put back together.

Last piece to make was the fighting staff which I didn't want to be too tall, since it's already a pain to carry around. So it's just a few inches taller than me when I'm wearing the boots. It breaks down into three pieces for easy transport and is made from a pvc pipe.
Add a Comment
Photos
  • Photo 1
     Photo 1
    Comments 0 Views 941
  • Photo 2
     Photo 2
    Comments 0 Views 795
  • Photo 3
     Photo 3
    Comments 0 Views 671
  • Photo 4
     Photo 4
    Comments 0 Views 720
  • Photo 5
     Photo 5
    Comments 1 Views 721
  • Photo 6
     Photo 6
    Comments 0 Views 492
  • Photo 7
     Photo 7
    Comments 0 Views 515
  • Photo 8
     Photo 8
    Comments 0 Views 512
  • Photo 9
     Photo 9
    Comments 0 Views 651
Comments

Sorry, you must be a registered user of and logged in to view and add comments. Either log in or register now!