Cosplayer Shii Arisugawa > Costume of Shii Arisugawa from Shunya Yamashita Artworks
- Most Recent Photo
- Shunya Yamashita Artworks
- Shii Arisugawa
- Year Completed:
- Construction Difficulty:
- Prop made by
- Costume worn at:
- FanimeCon 2013
This Costume has been retired
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
I already had the shimapan from my Francesca Lucchini costume, but I decided to make a new and more accurate pair. The hardest part was sewing on elastic in the openings because my machine just wanted to eat the freakin' fabric, this probably wouldn't have been a problem if I skipped lining the shimapan but I wanted to make sure it wasn't see through at all. I used my Cosmode pattern book for the sailor collar and top, modifying it a bit so it zipped up in front so it's easier to put on. I remade the skirt which turned out much better as I have more experience with pleated skirts now, and I had just enough leftover fabric too! The hardest part was figuring out how much to hem off the bottom so it still covered my butt. Barely. Ha! ^^; Shii doesn't wear shoes because she's forgetful (poor girl even forgets to wear her skirt...), but I need to have some kind of footwear if I'm walking around at cons, so I decided to go with brown penny loafers. It took me forever and a day to find a pair that I liked that was in my size and wasn't crazy expensive. The glasses are my old frames with the lenses popped out, I'm glad I kept them so I could incorporate it into a costume!
- Extra Prop Details by CeruleanDraco
three layers of HDF, cut with a jigsaw and beveled with a dremmel/belt sander and filed. layered on the paint and hand-wrapped the handle.
- Personal Thoughts:
- I decided to finally make this costume to commemorate my 5 years of being in this stupid hobby, yay!! I've been a fan of Shunya Yamashita's style for some time now, and a collector of figures based on his original designs. Sera-chan was my first when she was gifted to me several years ago, followed by Shii Arisugawa which really got the ball rolling. ;D Her design has always been a favorite of mine, and might possibly be to blame why I'm partial to costumes that include glasses, pleated skirts, and thigh highs (bonus points if it has all 3~). NOT TO MENTION MY STUPID OBSESSION WITH SHIMAPAN.
Anyway, I debuted this at Extreme Autofest 2012 in Anaheim, CA so it was interesting attending an event that wasn't related to my usual hobbies. I was called "the Sailor Moon girl" by several attendees, but most of the time people just stared at me as they weren't sure why I was there, haha. It was also the first time I tried circle lenses, and I was pretty satisfied with how natural looking they are, with a noticeable enlarging effect. Unfortunately I had to toss out the lenses before Fanime, I'm still deciding if it's worth the cost/hassle as I might wear the lenses but a few times a year. I dunno. ^^; ALSO!! Thanks to Cerulean Draco I now have an awesome sword prop to complete my costume, so please check out his page if you're looking for superb quality prop commissions!
- Styling Notes
- I chopped off a lot of the bangs, and a few inches off the bottom before braiding the twin tails. The color WAS NOT what I expected when I received it in the mail, as it's definitely more on the purple-y side. Originally, I wanted to add some brown using Sharpies, but I kinda like the color so I might leave it as is.
- Wig Review
- I never thought I'd complain about a wig being too thick, but holy crap! Even the bangs are super thick, which made trimming them quite a chore. lol The quality of the wig itself is lovely, and pretty much tangle free despite being long.
Add a Comment