Includes sweater top with attached necklace, pink kimono top with hand painted sleeves, pants with hand painted patches, hand painted obi with fanny pack, Arda Magnum in Light Blonde, jewelry accessories, and women's custom painted shoes size 7.5. Best Journeyman Craftsmanship Jafax 2012. Best Overall Craftsmanship Limelight Masquerade 2012. Bust 42'', waist 42'', hip 52'' obi, 39.5''.
- Most Recent Photo
- Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and The Lost Ocean
- Year Completed:
- Construction Difficulty:
- Very Difficult
- Best Craftsmanship Cosplay Shinkou 2012, Best Journeyman Craftsmanship Jafax 2012
- Costume worn at:
- ColossalCon (Cleveland) 2012
- JAFAX 2012
- Construction Details:
This is the hardest thing I've done to date. And my first time tailoring pants, or making pants at all... I'll start with the pants. I redid them four times until I was somewhat happy with the fluffy part. The pant legs were no issue at all, but getting the Shakespearean looking part to look half decent was a big challenge. I even positioned the legs so the seams were down the front. Every piece of this costume was serged before it was turned over with a three thread overlock. Suiting frays like mad so it had to be done. The top is entirely edged in yellow bias tape, and the trim on the pants is all bias tape. The red panels in the pants were set under and sewn on. All of the painting and patterns is done by hand, free hand. For the top I used my first draft as a pattern and just remade it in a darker pink fabric. I was originally going to go with all one color but the two different pinks ended up looking really nice. The sleeves were also drafted specifically for the costume, they are three pieces and edged in bias tape. The obi sash is the same blue as the sleeves and the designs under the red fabric was entirely hand painted. The brown and white ribbon that edges the design was also custom made by combining two kinds of ribbon. The obi is reinforced with iron on interfacing. The fanny pack was my first time making a bag, I patterned it from scratch and played with it until it looked right. The shoes were custom painted and I added some jewels in the pattern shown on her feet. The red sweater underneath is a turtleneck sweater I altered and attached the necklace onto.
The wings were an adventure. This was my first time making large wings. They came out really well for a first try, I think. They're made with 9 gauge fencing wire and 12 gauge vinyl painted with Rustoleum outdoor spray paint. The veins are puffy paint. The wings are anchored by an underbust corset and elastics.
The prop is a dowel rod with rocket fins sanded to the correct shape. They were super glued and then epoxied and filled. The prop is painted with rustoleum metallic gold and sealed with acrylic gloss finish. The bells were super glued on. The dangling bells were made by attaching chain and o-rings to polyester cord that was burned back together to have no knots.
- Personal Thoughts:
- This costume was originally supposed to be finished for Katsucon. I was unable to finish it because I broke my finger in December, and from having the cast I developed Carpal Tunnel. Finishing the costume was very difficult and it was about 90% finished for Katsucon but I wasn't happy with the overall look. I decided to completely remake it.
- Styling Notes
- I used a round brush and curled up the ends of the wig. After I was done and it had gotten a healthy coat of spray I brushed it out a little bit so it remained soft looking.
- Wig Review
- ARDA WIGS ARE SO NICE.