Login New Account
Cosplayer Dessi_desu > Costume of Freya from Chobits

Most Recent Photo
05-07-2012
Series
Chobits
Character
Freya
Special Variation:
Artbook
Year Completed:
2012
Construction Difficulty:
Normal
Costume worn at:
Katsucon 2012
Permanent Link:

About this Costume
Construction Details:
I've had my eye on this Freya costume for quite a while. Compared to other Chobits designs, it's a relatively simple costume, but I liked the elegant regal vibe and thought this costume would be lovely in the Katsucon venue space.

Everything, excluding the bustle, is made from casa satin. The bootslip covers were by far the most aggravating things to create for this costume. The covers were divided into several pieces. Due to the ribbon detail on the sides, I decided I did not want a seam going up the front, so I referred to a pair of boots I own in order to figure out how I wanted to create the covers. I ended up deciding to create a shoe part of the cover, including a piece to go around the heels of the shoes to be worn underneath the covers, and the pieces for the legs, which were sewn together.

I ended up having to fabric paint all the lace for this costume. Apparently, black lace is scary because I could not find any at the fabric store I liked and because my budget was tight I had to coupon like crazy for this costume, so buying lace online was not an option for me. Coupons are your friends!

It was interesting figuring out how to translate the bustle into reality. The way CLAMP drew it in the artwork had an appearance of a flat lace panel, but I figured that would be too limp. In the end, I ended up being inspired by some tulle burlesque bustles and tried to execute mine in a similar fashion.

The crown is my favorite part. It was created using casting epoxy, which was poured into a mold that I had created, after sculpting a crown out of clay. Any imperfections were simply sanded off using a dremel tool and some sand paper. Afterwards, I was able to paint it gold, using acrylics. The "fur" is a black fuzzy feather trim, which was glued on. In order for the crown to stay in place, it was simply sewn to my wig. The hair beads were also created using the same casting technique.

The ears were created using a paper mache and paper clay method. They started out as corrugated cardboard with paper mache, as the base, which was built on top of with paper clay. A bit of sanding later, I was able to paint them white and pink with acrylics. For extra durability, I decided to brush some casting epoxy on the ears. They were then attached to a clear head band that I am able to wear under my wig.
Add a Comment
Photos
  • Photo 1
     Photo 1
    Comments 0 Views 268
  • Photo 2
     Photo 2
    Comments 1 Views 131
  • Photo 3
     Photo 3
    Comments 1 Views 227
  • Photo 4
     Photo 4
    Comments 0 Views 259
  • Photo 5
     Photo 5
    Comments 0 Views 163
  • Photo 6
     Photo 6
    Comments 0 Views 204
  • Photo 7
     Photo 7
    Comments 0 Views 185
  • Photo 8
     Photo 8
    Comments 0 Views 243
  • Photo 9
     Photo 9
    Comments 0 Views 165
  • Photo 10
     Photo 10
    Comments 1 Views 146
  • Photo 11
     Photo 11
    Comments 0 Views 201
  • Photo 12
     Photo 12
    Comments 0 Views 261
  • Photo 13
     Photo 13
    Comments 0 Views 289
  • Photo 14
     Photo 14
    Comments 0 Views 184
  • Photo 15
     Photo 15
    Comments 0 Views 187
  • Photo 16
     Photo 16
    Comments 0 Views 149
  • Photo 17
     Photo 17
    Comments 0 Views 158
  • Photo 18
     Photo 18
    Comments 1 Views 232
Comments

Sorry, you must be a registered user of and logged in to view and add comments. Either log in or register now!