Cosplayer Ali > Costume of Sanetoshi Watase from Mawaru Penguindrum
- Most Recent Photo
- Mawaru Penguindrum
- Sanetoshi Watase
- Year Completed:
- Construction Difficulty:
- Prop made by:
- Open Division Best in Class Workmanship, Open Division Best in Class Presentation (Drama) at Anime Los Angeles 2012
- Costume worn at:
- Anime LA 2012
- FanimeCon 2012
- Featured in 1 Videos
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
- This was actually a pretty involved costume. I started with the pants, which were my first successful attempt at doing a fly front with pockets. I also made the turtleneck, because I needed to be very particular about the length of the hem, the collar, and the sleeves.
Because I needed to start work with the contact juggling ball early, Ashley made me some gloves out of a nice pleather that I could work with. They looked awesome and fit really well (the addition of stretch fabric gussets helped considerably).
The jacket was definitely the most involved bit, though. I made the pattern by combining a men\'s overcoat pattern I like (have used it for Daria and Zero) and a Matrix coat pattern (it had a nice flare) and drafing the collar and lapels (which are decorated with Sanetoshi\'s rabbits). The jacket is fully lined, and the lining is constructed to have a waist seam so the lapels and sleeves could be lined in white, and the bottom flared bit was lined in red. (I also pre-washed the red fabric about five times to minimize the color transfer. I didn\'t want to end up with pink pants!)
I really love this silver silk I found, and used it to cover all the buttons, some nifty cover-able buckles I found for the sleeves, and Ashley made me a bunch of single fold bias tape for the edges of the coat. I spent a ton of time hand-stitching the bias tape. It took much longer than expected (In order to get the width I wanted, I needed to stitch one side, then the other, then stitch the two together along the edge. Took ages, but the corners all look very nice).
- Personal Thoughts:
- I learned how to do some contact juggling for this costume. Between that and the custom colored balls we used, my pretty white gloves unfortunately need to be remade. (But it totally looks cool.)
I love getting to be a smarmy bastard.
- Styling Notes
- This wig was pretty awesome right out of the bag.
- Wig Review
- The wig's an awesome color, a great base style, easy to mess with, easy to wear, and easy to maintain. I couldn't ask for more.