Login New Account
Cosplayer Saya > Costume of Maru from xxxHoLic

Most Recent Photo
08-31-2011
Series
xxxHoLic
Character
Maru
Special Variation:
Cover art on Vol 2 of the anime
Year Completed:
N/A
Construction Difficulty:
Difficult
Awards
First Place Tokyo in Tulsa
Costume worn at:
Tokyo in Tulsa 2011
Permanent Link:

About this Costume
Construction Details:
The top and skirt cuff was hand drafted out of duponi silk and both were lined. The wheel like pattern on the top and cuff I re-created using swaorvski crystals gem tacked in the correct pattern. There was around 2,000 crystal on this outfit. The main part of the skirt was hand drafted and made out of a cotton blend and lined with itself. I created the swirling pattern on the skirts by layering an embelshed lace overlay over gold lame then sewed it onto the skirt. The crown was created using paper clay and craft foam. The embelishments were a mixture of swaorvski crystal and hand cast acrylic jewels. The majority of the jewelry was made by taking apart different pieces and then reassembling in the desired way. Awards: First Place in TNT cosplay contest.
Wig Details
Wig Brand
N/A
Wig Name
N/A
Original Color:
Light Blue
Styling Time
30 hours
Styling Notes
The wig was the fun part. It started out as a cosworx "cher" in light blue (bought in the $22 sale). I wafted the back part using the heat-sealing method. I also wefted the hairline using home made “no sew” caulk wefts. I then stubbed the two piggy tails. To construct the piggy tails I started with 12 medium sized Styrofoam balls painted to match the wig. I strung them together with fishing line at set intervals. I then started covering them with light blue loose yaki extension. I set them in place with caulk. I total I used 13 packs of yaki hair!!! I used conical shaped foam cores for the piggy tail bases. Painted them to match the wig then covered them with loose silky extensions in light blue. I carved out a hole on the wide end of the conical foam core. I attached them to the stubbed wig using caulk and fishing line. To. To help support the weight of the wig I made a substructure under each piggy tail composed of a firm hard plastic mesh with a long bolt ran thru it. The bolt then passed thru the wig netting into the stubs it was secured with fishing line, nuts and caulk. The piggy tails were then attached using copious amounts of caulk and fishing line. To help create the “scruffy” look of Maru’s pig tails and then loosely wrapped the piggy tails with more light blue Yaki hair, which was secured with caulk and fishing line. I had to add a strap to help keep the wig in place Due to the weight this wig was tuff to keep in place but it still turned out pretty good.
Add a Comment
Photos
  • Photo 1
     Photo 1
    Comments 0 Views 140
  • Photo 2
     Photo 2
    Comments 0 Views 131
  • Photo 3
     Photo 3
    Comments 0 Views 112
  • Photo 4
     Photo 4
    Comments 0 Views 163
Comments

Sorry, you must be a registered user of and logged in to view and add comments. Either log in or register now!