Cosplayer Shii Arisugawa > Costume of Yayoi Takatsuki from iDOLM@STER
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
I started by making the jacket first, using the patterns provided by Angel Hearts! The only part that really gave me trouble was Heat'n Bonding the heart on the back (vectored by Sparkle Pipsi) as it involved a lot of precise cutting and ironing. XD I LOVE how it turned out though, and this jacket is still one of my favorite costume pieces ever! I later went back and fixed the sleeves, I took shortened them by an inch, and redid the gathering on the sleeve cuff so it's neater. The dress was also remade, I used a vest pattern for the bodice, lined it with apparel lining, and just winged it for the bottom as it involved nothing more than long strips of fabric. I did a 2:1 ratio for the hand gathered ruffles, and put an invisible zipper closure in the back. I did add straps to the dress, but you can't see them because the jacket covers them, they are there though! A separate pattern was provided for the shorts, and the rest of the accessories were pretty easy to figure out on my own. I remade the boot toppers and the white wrist cuffs (which have a single layer of fleece added for dimension), and I attached them to my old gloves. No more issues with the wrist cuffs sliding all over the place!
- Personal Thoughts:
- I never want to sew that much poplin ever again, my god but lemme say that fray check saved my life and sanity. I'm glad to have my first costume for Angel Hearts, YAY!! Yayoi's image color is orange, which I find amusing since that was my favorite color in high school... THIS IS FATE, IT WAS MEANT TO BE. ALWAYS 200% ENERGETIC!!
- Styling Notes
- The base wig used is "Lulu" which is also from Arda Wigs. I started off by trimming the front bangs, sectioning off the long side bangs, while the back is heavily thinned out. I started from the bottom going up, and layered it as much as possible using thinning shears.
I wanted the ponytails to look more ringlet-like as opposed to giant pouf balls, so I carefully took apart each curl and sectioned them off into 15-20 individual curls (rough estimate, they're a bit hard to count lol). I tried using AquaNet to set the curls but it wasn't holding, so I used got2b Spiking Glue diluted in a small bowl of water, and carefully smoothed it on, concentrating on the ends.
- Wig Review
- I had a lot of fun styling the ponytail clips, they've also held up nicely with me running around and performing at a con. lol
Add a Comment