Cosplayer Starlightslk > Prop of Kagome Higurashi from Inuyasha
- Most Recent Photo
- Kagome Higurashi
- Item Name
- Gigantic Yellow Backpack
- Year Completed:
- Construction Difficulty:
- Best Accessory in the Anime Boston 2005 Masquerade
Hall Vote Cosplay Ribbon on Friday Anime Boston 2005
- Costume worn at:
- Anime Boston 2005
- AnimeNEXT 2005
About this Prop
- Construction Details:
This was my first attempt at making anything other than clothing and more importantly it was the inaugural project for my first personal sewing machine.♥
I used a yellow duck fabric for the body and custom-dyed bias-tape, piping, woven cording for the drawstring, & woven strapping for all the trims and such. The hardware is all metal, and the buckles took me "forever" to find the perfect ones.
I used a base pattern for the backpack, but I had to draft one for the pockets, the top flap, and the straps since I wanted it to be accurate.
At times my sewing machine would get "angry" with me because of all the layers of thick fabric I was trying to send through it. All the edges are fray-checked since duck likes to fray and the fray-check makes them look all nice.
Whenever I wear this cosplay I always stuff my backpack full of goodies like Kagome dose in the show like:
- Shikon no kakera in a small glass bottle with cork stopper
- A compact mirror like the one shown at the beginning of Movie 2
- Inuyasha's Kotodama no Nenju (the one released in Japan when Movie 3 came out)
- Travel Toothbrush
- Cup noodles, Candy, Snacks, and many other assorted goodies.
- Personal Thoughts:
- While watching Inuyasha I always wanted to make her backpack especially since I thought it would be super useful at cons to tote around my stuff. When I lucked into a working 1970's Singer sewing machine that someone dumped in a Home Depot parking lot, and then finding the perfect yellow duck in JoAnn Fabrics I knew it was meant to happen and I scraped together the $30 and this project began.
Add a Comment