Cosplayer Gale > Costume of Hikaru Shidou from Magic Knights Rayearth
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
All white fabric and the red skirt are casa crepe, while the red leg covers and cape are regular casa satin. I made all the patterns out of sketchbook paper using measurements (most fabric articles basically being some sort of tube) and the skirt is a circle skirt. Anything long and drapy was just free-handed. All armor pieces were made out of wonderflex and friendly plastic, however the other girls used part or all Worbla on theirs and having seen the results I wish I had used it too. Any "raised" bits of gold were made with puff paint, which I then painted over. All "armor" was painted and then sprayed with a clear coat. All jewels were cast out of epoxy resin. The purple bits on the jewelry is corduroy. For shoes I bought a pair of white canvas lace-less sneakers (that is, flats) to give the effect I was shorter than the other girls.
- Personal Thoughts:
- Wow. We finally did this! EllyStar has been bugging Shiva and me to join her in this group for at least three years now, and here we are finally getting it done. I love being Hikaru. She's such a fun, spunky girl. I only wish I'd been able to get more into her energy in my first wearing of this, but alas some of my armor was not holding together ideally well so I was limited in how free I could be and focusing more on not letting anything fall apart! Though I have improvements I would like to make, I have to say this costume was not as difficult as I anticipated it to be. Mostly it was just time consuming, what with shaping the wonderflex and waiting for paint to dry.
- Styling Notes
- I couldn't find any long wefts in the same color as my wig so I had to sew my own using loose fibers (windofthestars' tutorial was very helpful). Once that was done I sewed my homemade weft into my base wig, braided it, and added the accessory (made out of wonderflex). Ta da!
- Wig Review
- Surprise, surprise: a Hikaru costume using a Scruffy! This wig was fairly simple to make. The most difficult part was making the weft. It came out a little messy, but decent for my first time ever making a weft.
Add a Comment