- Construction Details:
- Where do I start...? XDDD
I really liked this outfit from the moment I saw it but it seemed like it'll be a beast of a project so I didn't tackle it until I was given incentive to by a friend XD Anyhow, it did turn out to be a beast in the making of it so at least I got that part right... hahaha. I had a lot of help with this costume because I was being anally A+ with this costume. I wanted to try to make this as perfect as possible. As I couldn't find the perfect striped blue+yellow fabric... I painted about ~2m of blue fabric with yellow stripes. D8 My dear friend helped me lots with masking off the lines and then painting some of the stripes for me. I don't actually recommend this method as we both ended up with back pain from bending over the fabric so much on the floor... D8
Hat: I used fabric to cover an existing top hat, used some of the striped fabric for the "ribbon", made bows from it and sewed them on. I also made the 2 jewel pieces that went on the hat.
Shirt: You can barely tell, I think, with that giant bow tied at my neck.. But I pleated my collar, front of my shirt, and my cuffs. There are also functional buttons down the front of my shirt XD I thought they would be visible while I was making the buttonholes... but they never showed up in any of my photos because of that giant bow at my neck DDDDD8
Corset: Yes, this is a separate piece from the shirt and the jacket.. XD My friend helped me pattern this while I was working on the jacket. It's got interfacing and lining in it.
Jacket+Shorts: The one thing I learned from making this jacket: get a cording foot for your machine if you want to sew on cording. 8D My best purchase ever, saved me so many time and heartache! It was my first time to ever sew on cording onto a garment and I looked up a lot of tutorials for it so I don't have to screw up too much in the making process. Thankfully, it didn't turn out too hard and the results turned out really nice. =) Only problem was, I needed a cord that wasn't already a sewable trim... So I had to make the cord trim myself and then sew it onto the jacket.. The cuffs are made so that they look like they're turned from the inside with the bottom overlaping the top part. Surprisingly, I don't have pictures of my back... (should get one someday) There's a pleating detail at the lower back that covers the top of the bustle. I consulted a friend in order to learn how to do the proper draping for the bustle. =) The jacket's lined with black lining? The shorts made pretty much the same way as the jacket~
Boot covers: I would actually like boots like these in real life... D8 I used a pair of heels for the bottom base and patterned my covers over them. It's interfaced generously as I needed them to have a stiff look. The buttons are functional so that's how I get in and out of them. The scallop detail next to each buttonhole required a little more patience but they turned out alright in the end so that was a relief. XD
Accessories: Made my sock suspenders out of elastic and added on a button for fancy measures. The rings and eyepatch were from my old Ciel costume. I made them myself back then because I didn't like the existing blue Family Rings and the gold Signets weren't available yet. Also, my fingers are super thin so it would've been better for me to make them to fit myself anyways. The walking stick was painted and the skull stuck on at the top. (That skull took me near forever to find since I needed it at the right size OTL)
All in all, this beast was the most time consuming thing I've ever made. But it's also something I'm really proud of. ;w; I feel like I've upped my sewing skills and hope to continue to do so in the future! =D