Login New Account
Cosplayer Yaminogame > Prop of Gaara from Naruto

Most Recent Photo
07-15-2010
Series
Naruto
Character
Gaara
Item Name
Gourd
Year Completed:
N/A
Construction Difficulty:
Easy
Costume worn at:
Anime Expo 2007
Comic-Con / San Diego Comic Con International 2008
Comic-Con / San Diego Comic Con International 2007
FanimeCon 2009
Permanent Link:
About this Prop
Construction Details:

The first thing I did was buy a beach ball and a large ball. I then taped them together. The two balls were taped from the top of the small ball, curved in the center and then, down the large ball to the bottom multiple times on different sides.

To give strength to the center I taped around the middle over and over until I thought that it was strong.

Next I made a “neck brace” out of newspaper. I wrapped a bunch of newspaper, which I had cut into stripes, and wrapped it around the neck of the gourd. Then I papier machéd the whole gourd.

Then I plastered the whole gourd. But that became a “plaster disaster”. The plaster cracked. I blame it on chemistry. High temperatures make volume of gas expand. So I bought some plaster stripes at Michael’s and layered them multiple times.

For the gourd cork I bought a styrofoam cone and cut the tip off and got a Styrofoam circle for the lid of the gourd. For the “E”’s I made a stencil. The “E” stencil was very carefully measured. The second stencil was a rectangle. It was for the thick black line. The outline of the stencil was the border for the black line.

The gourd was spray-painted a sand-tan color. Then the stencils were traced on and painted. Gaara’s gourd has four rectangle’s on it. So I had to trace the stencil two times in the front and two times in the back. I also had to edit my lines before painting because it was hard to draw accurate on a circular object.

After finishing the rectangles I added the cork and lid. The lid had to be held on by plaster and shaped. Then the cork was glued on and plaster was added around it to hold it on. All painting had to be touched up. After everything was dried I drew the cracks on with a thick black paint marker.

Lastly my dad helped me make a harness with black fishing rope. He tied it so it had two loops like a backpack! Then I added my red sash. I had to wrap it and hold it on with safety pins in multiple areas. This took over two weeks from start to finish!

Add a Comment
Photos
  • Photo 1
     Photo 1
    Comments 0 Views 138
  • Photo 2
     Photo 2
    Comments 0 Views 153
  • Photo 3
     Photo 3
    Comments 0 Views 177
Comments

Sorry, you must be a registered user of and logged in to view and add comments. Either log in or register now!