Login New Account
Cosplayer Ellome > Costume of UK / England / Arthur Kirkland from Axis Powers Hetalia

Most Recent Photo
11-01-2010
Series
Axis Powers Hetalia
Character
UK / England / Arthur Kirkland
Special Variation:
US Revolutionary War uniform
Year Completed:
N/A
Construction Difficulty:
Very Difficult
Wig styled by
Chas
Awards
2nd place performance NDK 2009
Costume worn at:
FanimeCon 2010
Nan Desu Kan 2009
Otakon 2010
Permanent Link:

About this Costume
Construction Details:


Fffffft. I've wanted to do this costume for a really long time. I'd talked about it with Saravana and then with Teca.. so we ended up delaying our original NDK masq costume plans and it seemed like a perfect time to finally do this set.

THIS COSTUME. Is a lot more difficult than it may look. There were SO many roadblocks (the company the interior wool was ordered from screwed up, button deficits/mistakes, I missed my flight to NDK, needed more trim, I was moving during the month before NDK, etcetc) that just. I don't know how I accomplished this. And the truth is, I didn't. A week after that con I'd already took apart the coat to put in better facings as what was used was a stand-in, I'm handsewing all the trim on, adding more buttons... etc. -- & now after the facings have been replaced, I want to either replace or flatline the lapels/collar & tack down the rest of the trim better. I SWEAR THIS COSTUME WILL NEVER BE UP TO PAR aaaah.

Now that I'm done complaining, most patterns/most fabrics are historically accurate, although we chose bleached instead of unbleached muslin because of the white pants/vests/UK's lining. The pants are linen and BOY ARE THEY CRAZY. I can understand why they're tailored like they are (tight in the legs, loose behind - so the fabric tightens in the seat as you sit instead of pulling up the fabric on the legs) but golly, how unattractive in the back XD These took a whole weekend, more or less, to make, and are just. I don't even.

The vest is a white-on-white Joann upholstery brocade with working pockets~

The shirt was a commercial pattern (I forget which, sorry!) which was really similar to the historical shirt pattern: the only exception being the lack of gusset at the underarm. It was constructed from muslin and every visible stitch is handsewn - even the hem! :D

The coat is melton wool for the red/white, and bleached muslin for the lining. I modified the pattern slightly to account for UK's extra flaps in the front. All the buttons are I think pewter? from Joann's (chosen by Teca! I love them!) and the black parts are moleskin - they should be velvet to be historically accurate, so I may redo these too...
Add a Comment
Photos
  • Photo 1
     Photo 1
    Comments 6 Views 693
  • Photo 2
     Photo 2
    Comments 0 Views 468
  • Photo 3
     Photo 3
    Comments 0 Views 472
  • Photo 4
     Photo 4
    Comments 2 Views 393
  • Photo 5
     Photo 5
    Comments 1 Views 468
  • Photo 6
     Photo 6
    Comments 0 Views 409
  • Photo 7
     Photo 7
    Comments 0 Views 330
  • Photo 8
     Photo 8
    Comments 0 Views 313
  • Photo 9
     Photo 9
    Comments 0 Views 432
  • Photo 10
     Photo 10
    Comments 0 Views 299
  • Photo 11
     Photo 11
    Comments 1 Views 541
  • Photo 12
     Photo 12
    Comments 0 Views 319
  • Photo 13
     Photo 13
    Comments 0 Views 307
  • Photo 14
     Photo 14
    Comments 0 Views 298
  • Photo 15
     Photo 15
    Comments 6 Views 352
  • Photo 16
     Photo 16
    Comments 0 Views 219
  • Photo 17
     Photo 17
    Comments 0 Views 223
  • Photo 18
     Photo 18
    Comments 0 Views 201
  • Photo 19
     Photo 19
    Comments 0 Views 231
Comments

Sorry, you must be a registered user of and logged in to view and add comments. Either log in or register now!