Cosplayer Vartan > Costume of Dave Strider from MS Paint Adventures / Homestuck
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
Argh. So I special ordered this Lime Green polyester poplin from a special occasion fabrics company out of desperation, it was the closest correct color I could find, and not only was it a fair amount lighter in person, but it was kind of thin and fimsy, as well as having an obnoxious amount of slight stretch, as cheap polyester poplin is wont to have. Therefore, I had to use interfacing on the whole damn thing to give it structure. Light-ish weight, but still. Added an extra layer of annoyance, especially when it kept not wanting to fuse properly, it would seem fine and then I'd be sitting there trying to sew it and it would start flopping apart. Then I ended up having to line everything (including the pants which I don't normally do) because of it, both concerns over lingering transparency, as well as interfacing feeling disgusting and looking extremely ugly and unfinished. This was made more annoying by the fact that Joann's got in several good shades of lime green-ish fabrics that were suitable suitings (twill and rodeo and something else) right around halloween where I had ordered the fabric over the summer which I guess is not a good time for bright green bottomweights.
Made cover buttons in the lining fabric, made the bowtie out of the lining fabric as well. Did not make the shirt, but this one was a temporary measure due to some issues I had and ran out of time. At the very least, it's a short sleeved shirt which is just wrong with a tailcoat. Oh and shoes were painted with two shades of bright green paint, angelus and tulip. Tried to dye some shoelaces and had them turn a bizarre shade of turquoise despite using green dye, so used gray ones, will retry again soon or just buy the neon ones which I was avoiding because they were a bit too fluorescent.
- Personal Thoughts:
- Formalwear is hard enough without including cheap/annoying fabrics. Nuff said.
Admittedly, I think it turned out decently well for banging it out in like a week, but I spent a fair amount of that time patterning and ironing and all sorts of things as opposed to just sewing,. The tailcoat has a few flaws (noticeable to me especially) in it due to basing it off of a cheap costume pattern instead of something historically accurate but I feel like it turned out ok and it wasn't worth the frustration for such a silly costume.
Either way, made it mainly because I like Dave and because after spending so much time on the Snowman dress I wanted to make something that semi-went with it for myself. Hope to make Caledscratch or one of the other awesome swords in the near future for next time since I kind of felt like I needed one.
Add a Comment